Sunday 10 May 2015

"Why, did you think I sounded desperate?" "Listen to you. Desperately asking me if you sounded desperate?"


Year: 2009
Director: Robert Luketic
Writers: Nicole Eastman, Karen McCullah, Kirsten Smith

A romantically challenged morning show producer is reluctantly embroiled in a series of outrageous tests by her chauvinistic correspondent to prove his theories on relationships and help her find love. His clever ploys, however, lead to an unexpected result.
- Written by anonymous

I've seen clips of this movie on TV so many times, because it's one of those movies that is shown on TV almost regularly. I think I saw several scenes at least three times by accident. I actually didn't think I'd see this movie voluntarily, but here I am. This movie did meet my expectations, which weren't too high to start with.

Abby is a very typical character in a romantic comedy, you know. She's really focused on her job, but she still dreams of romance, stuff like that. That character has been used so many times. Mike, however, is somehow different, he brings something different. True, it's mostly because he acts like a misogynistic asshat. But oh wait, he has another side, wow - and suddenly he's not so original anymore. Kind of shame, even though it would've been a horrible movie, if Mike had been truly as horrible all the time.

So, the story? Well yeah, I've seen those movies before: man / woman helps a woman / man to get the man / woman of her / his dreams, but then, unexpectedly, they fall for each other! Wow, nobody ever saw that coming! But yeah, I have to admit it, nobody watches romantic movies for the surprising plot twists. 

But this movie definitely met so many tropes, so many clichés it was almost ridiculous. Almost every detail - except maybe some things that didn't matter and the first impression of Mike - has been seen already. 

There's nothing surprising to this movie, and there's absolutely nothing new. True, it's funny at times, but I've seen funnier movies. Do yourself a favour and don't watch this one, The Ugly Truth is definitely not worth it.

☆☆
2 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment