Thursday 12 March 2015

"Imagine if America was a dictatorship. You could let 1% of the people have all the nation's wealth."


The heroic story of a dictator who risks his life to ensure that democracy would never come to the country he so lovingly oppressed. (written by Anonymous on iMDB)

Last night I asked my friends if this movie was any good. They thought so. Then I asked if I would like it. And they said two things. One, the humour in this movie is very sick, meaning I would like it. Two, the humour in this movie is cheap. Meaning I wouldn't like it.

I've never liked too much Sacha Baron Cohen's comedies, they just seem, well, cheap would be the right word, and in anyway just easy laughs. Sure those are good from time to time, but it doesn't make them good even if you could once a year a comedy like that. Sure, I got a laugh out of this movie every once in a while. Mostly the humour in this movie is the kind of humour that makes you laugh, and then think if it actually was something so horrible it shouldn't be funny. And of course there are jokes so horrible they aren't funny at all and you sit there uncomfortable. I appreciate everything that's provocative, but maybe the writers of The Dictator tried too much to be provocative than actually funny

The plot was actually really boring. There wasn't anything interesting happening there at all, and the really clichéd change of heart was so forced. I don't know, the only things that didn't seem forced were some people's acting. Sacha Baron Cohen was surprisingly good, I expected something much worse. And of course some of the finest jokes, for example the helicopter scene and the little Chinese man and his celebrity fetish. (To be honest, the reason why I watched this movie was that one of my favourite actors made a cameo, and to be honest it was part of that Chinese man's fetish.)

The music was fun though. Especially when they used popular song but changed their lyrics in... I don't know what language would they speak in Wadiya. There was a few songs that didn't fit that scene at all, but most movies that use popular songs do that.

What actually is the official language of Wadiya? Because they spoke English most of the time, except for when the joke demanded it...

The Dictator wasn't good, but it's worth a while, if you are into this kind of humour. It was funny at times, sure, but not every joke was tastefully offensive, just really really bad in offensive way, or really offensive in a bad way.

☆☆☆
3 / 10

Now I've gone through 79 % of my challenge.

2 comments: