Friday 4 March 2016

"...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes."


Year: 2006
Directed by: Satoshi Kon
Written by: Yasutaka Tsutsui (novel), Seishi Minakami & Satoshi Kon (screenplay)

All hell breaks lose when a machine used by therapists to record and watch their patients' dreams is stolen. Three scientists, a police inspector and a sprite named Paprika must try to find the thief and not submit to the mind tricks created by the machine and dreams.


What did I learn while watching this film? From now on I will always, always read some kind of summary of a film. For like most part of this movie I had no clue what was going on. And I still have no idea what Paprika really was. And I watched this film with my sister, and she too was super confused during this film. Usually not reading the summary doesn't affect me one way or the other, but this time I realised that there still are very confusing and complex movies that require some form of research before actually watching it.

There's one thing I'm certain of Paprika: it's a very creepy movie. It's creepy in a weird way, and I can tell you that music playing when the weird dream parade marches on the streets will probably haunt me forever. And because the biggest theme of the film are dreams, many of those creepy, terrifying moments make absolutely no sense, like dreams usually don't. That what makes it resemble a nightmare and why you feel like you're going to have nightmares, even if you're not actually scared during the film. I mean nightmares are terrifying when you're sleeping, but once you are awake, they seem ridiculous. So that goes with Paprika. Naturally you are awake while watching the film, and it makes no sense like nightmares don't once you are awake, but it still creates that weird nightmare like feel to it.

Even though this movie is mostly about dreams, I love how they were able to bring movies into it.

But yeah, let's be honest, this movie is visually so beautiful! The characters are drawn very well, so are the backgrounds and all the weird dream things. Even when this movie gets so very freaky, it still looks amazing.

Paprika is an interesting film and I wish I could write more about it, but unfortunately I think it would need a second watch - at least. Because during the first time I just felt like I was trying to get what was going on. But it's visually beautiful, the music is amazing and the plot and the dream theme are very complex and astonishing. Still, Paprika is definitely the weirdest film I've seen so far.

☆☆☆☆☆☆
6 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment