Sunday 12 June 2016

Danny The Dog (2005)


Directed by: Louis Leterrier
Written by: Luc Besson

Danny has been enslaved by a mob boss called Bart since his childhood, and he doesn't remember anything else. When he has the opportunity flee, he does, and tries to start a normal life away from his captors, with the help of a blind man called Sam.


When I was in Helsinki this weekend (I think I will tell you about that later) I found a second-hand film store, which had such an excellent selection and great prices! I was able to buy eight movies at the price of 20 €. If you are a Finnish film enthusiast reading this, you might want to check the store out. Danny The Dog was one of the eight movies I bought. I'll try to review the rest, apart from Jennifer's Body and Hostel, which I have already reviewed. 

Danny the Dog (or Unleashed, but I'm much more familiar with this name) has been on my watchlist for a very long time, yet I just haven't watched it until now that I had an "excuse" to watch it - apparently it being on Netflix wasn't enough, I had to actually buy it. Anyway, I think I should regret the fact that I hadn't seen this before, but I think I'm just so fascinated I can't be mad at myself. Danny the Dog is such an astonishing movie in so many ways.

This movie wasn't what I expected. I was waiting for something brutal and violent - and I got that. But I never would've guessed how heart-wrenchingly sweet some of the scenes are. 

Jet Li's performance is incredible! Every look, every stance and every word just is so genuine. Jet Li was able to be both a brutal killer and weirdly cute man trying to adjust to normal life, yet he kept the character there, instead of switching between two characters.

There's one negative comment I can think of: the beginning of this movie wasn't as strong as it could've been. It's fast and it sort of takes the viewer with it, but it's not as effective as the rest of the movie. Danny the Dog just seems to get better instead of being evenly exciting.

Danny the Dog wasn't what I expected, but I got so much more from this movie. It was brutal, violent yet delicate and emotional. This is definitely one of my favourite movies now!

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment