Thursday 3 August 2017

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)


Directed by: George Miller 
Written by: George Miller, Brendan McCarthy & Nico Lathouris

A woman rebels against a tyrannical ruler in post-apocalyptic Australia in search for her home-land with the help of a group of female prisoners, a psychotic worshipper, and a drifter named Max.


I haven't see the original 80's Mad Max movies, so in case you wanted to read a review by someone with actual knowledge of the series, this might not be the blog post for you. I can't compare this to the original movies, but of course I'm aware of the influence the Mad Max series has had on popular culture, especially post-apocalyptic fiction.

I didn't actually think I'd want to see Mad Max: Fury Road, mostly because I haven't seen the original ones, but also because I generally didn't think I'd care about a movie that's mostly about car chases - even if that happens in post-apocalyptic Australia, and I love post-apocalyptic fiction. However what drove me to watch this movie was mostly the video game RAGE I've been playing a little, that's heavily inspired by Mad Max, but also the second episode of season 3 of Rick and Morty. Both of these made me realize I really do want to see this movie.

Of course I had heard a lot of good about Mad Max: Fury Road. Hell, it won six Oscars! But of course it's different to actually see it for yourself than just to rely on the opinions of others.

It's clear that this movie is different from the typical action movies that we get nowadays from every fucking movie studio that exists. There's something unique in the story and of course visually this movie beats any other action movie out there.

While the story is a bit dark and it has very serious themes in it, there's a somewhat loose feeling to it. The movie can be taken seriously, but there's a somewhat relaxed feeling to the things they've come up with. The filmmakers are pros and they know what they are doing, so if they want to add a flamethrower electric guitar in there, they can and they should - and it will be fucking awesome.

That flamethrower electric guitar reminds me, since I haven't seen the original movies I can't help but feel that I'm missing something. Why is there a guitar and war drums on a car? Is that... normal? Is that a regular thing or is Immortan Joe just a drama queen who needs his own theme music? It's cultural stuff like that that I don't know, but in the end that didn't seem to matter that much. But at least it feels like there's a world outside this movie, that the post-apocalyptic Australian wasteland has a culture, instead of just those three or four tribes we get to see.

Mad Max: Fury Road may be a bit long, and definitely feels longer than it is, but it's worth it. The audience wants desperately to see what happen, they desperately want a happy ending, all that. I was on the edge of my seat, even though during the start of the movie I was indifferent towards it.

Visually... I've never seen an action movie that looks like this. The editing is amazing, so are the effects, which might have something to do with the fact that they used CGI very little. But the cinematography... It's astonishingly beautiful. Every shot seems to be careful, and the colours are mind-blowing. Also the costume department has done such an amazing job, and all the vehicles look amazing... Everything in this movie just stands out from the typical post-apocalyptic action movie, and it's amazing.

Mad Max: Fury Road is an amazing post-apocalyptic action movie, that definitely stands out from all the shit that's out there. It's different, original, and just so damn thrilling and beautiful. It's a fucking action movie masterpiece! What are the originals like? If they are anything like this, I have to see them!

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
10 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment