Sunday 25 September 2016

Austin Powers movie series (1997-2002)


Lately I've been watching a lot of movies and shows I used to love years ago - Men in Black, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Ginga Nagareboshi Gin... It is time for a movie series I first watched when I was eleven. 

Usually if movies are unnecessarily dirty it's slightly annoying to me, but in Austin Powers movies that doesn't matter. Why? Because that's what they mostly are - dirty spy comedies. Yes, it feels a bit corny now, but that's mostly because I watched them at the age where all that was incredible funny. Now it feels mostly nostalgic and sometimes slightly cringe-worthy. Best part of the dirty humour are the names of certain female characters. And apart from all the dirty humour, these movies are still pretty funny - like all the clever ways of covering up people's private parts.

I'll always prefer agent movies as a comedy instead of that grim dark angst, very serious agent movies á la James Bond. Yes, being a spy is a serious business, I will always prefer stuff like Austin Powers, Archer, Johnny English and Get Smart over James Bond and whatever else spy movies there are. On the top of my head I can't even name anything else than James Bond, I just automatically dislike all the serious spy movies, unless they really, really stand out.

Casts are always unbelievable, even though closer to the end it feels like the cast is 50 % Mike Myers. Still, every movie has at least that one actor or actress who is just so incredible - like Beyoncé Knowles Michael Caine in the third one.

It's hard to say if the stories are interesting when I've seen all the movies at least five times and they are extremely familiar already. Still they are enjoyable to watch.

My score for all these movies is

☆☆☆☆☆☆
6 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment