Monday 16 January 2017

A Series of Unfortunate Events (TV show, 2017-)


I know I usually don't talk about TV shows here, but maybe it's time I start, and it's obviously a good choice to start with a show that came out last Friday and I binge watched in three days with my sister. 

I haven't finished the books. I started reading them but for some reason stopped after the fifth one. Still, didn't matter since the first season covered the first four books. I have time to catch up! Except I think I once read through all the summaries on Wikipedia or something.

This show is everything the original movie should've been. The original movie is not bad, but the thing is, it doesn't have exactly the charm the books had. Reading the books after seeing the movie was like sun shining through the clouds after a while, because the writing in the books is so charming and clever and while it's all "this is a tragic tale" it's also not at all serious. The movie was like a weird shadow of that. Still great, still so very very unique, but something was definitely missing.

The cast of the movie was brilliant, but somehow this show managed to top that. While Jim Carrey was amazing as Count Olaf, Neil Patrick Harris is the real deal. He can be that typical over the top, funny villain that's typical for children's books and shows, but he can also be weirdly scary. Carrey didn't have that. One of my favourite members of the cast is Patrick Warburton as Lemony Snicket. He has this amazing voice, and his whole persona feels more Lemony Snicket than Jude Law in the movie. Everyone is so talented and so incredibly beautiful.

If there's something that makes this even greater than the cast and the writing, it's the cinematography and the music. Visually this show is astonishing, it's dark like it's supposed to be, but it's detailed and wonderfully surreal? Not realistic? I'm not sure whats' the right word to use, but the atmosphere is like for the dark fairy tale - which is exactly what this show is. The music is enchanting, and the theme sung by Neil Patrick Harris just gets stuck in your head. And the song at the very end of the season? Hauntingly beautiful.

Only thing I can complain about is how soon the season was over, but that's not really a complaint. Shorter seasons are better. Quality over quantity, when it comes to TV shows.

Also ever since I saw the movie I've been digging the "don't watch / read this" vibe the series has going on. And in the TV show the theme song is basically "don't watch this show". But don't listen to Lemony Snicket, watch the show. It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment