Thursday 16 February 2017

The LEGO Batman Move (2017)


Directed by: Chris McKay
Screenplay by: Seth Grahame-Smith, Chris McKenna, Erik Sommers, Jared Stern & John Whittington
Story by: Seth Grahame-Smith
Batman created by: Bob Kane & Bill Finger
Superman created by: Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster

(wow that's the most credits I've ever had to type)

Joker plans his revenge trying to get him to admit his Batman's number one enemy, while Batman struggles with his greatest fear: clown snakes being part of a family again.


Guess what movie I've been super excited about for a few months? That's right, The LEGO Batman Movie! And I liked this movie so much I didn't even feel ridiculous when I met another film fanatic who was going to see La La Land. Also I met few friends who were going to see Fifty Shades Darker, then I was truly happy with my life choices.

I hate Batman. There, I said it. I hate the movies because they are either completely ridiculous (when Joel Schumacher was directing) or annoyingly dark and brooding (Nolan's trilogy and also the Batman V Superman blah blah). The only live action movie I kind of like is Tim Burton's Batman movies. Burton's movies were dark but not like brooding dark, more like, well, Burton dark.  

The first time I ever liked Batman was in The LEGO Movie. He was clearly Batman, but he was also so much fun. Also the first time I saw The LEGO Movie I was like "holy shit that's GOB!!" because I didn't learn Will Arnett's name until the end credits.

Michael Keaton is the perfect live action Batman - and Bruce Wayne. To me he has always looked like the right Bruce Wayne. And Will Arnett will always be my favourite Batman. He has the perfect voice for it, and while he nails the voice he can also be silly with it. Like I can't imagine Christian Bale doing that. Yikes!

Anyway that's how I feel about Batman in general. You know, to give you a little context about how much I don't like Batman movies.

But I loved this one! It is so good! The LEGO Movie is one of my favourite films, and The LEGO Batman Movie is just as good! Of course the universes are a bit different. The LEGO Movie is a mix of, well, every possible universe, while The LEGO Batman movie is mostly DC universe - with a mixture of different villains released by Joker. Also that certain meta feeling is not there, that was in The LEGO Movie, but that might've been good. The difference between the two is that The LEGO Movie was, in a way, about Legos. Now the characters in The LEGO Batman Movie are made of legos, sure, so are buildings and all that, but it's not addressed so much. We don't have to think about it. It could be just another superhero movie, apart from few jokes that require Legos. 

This was so much fun! Since I obviously went to see this in English (and since the subtitles didn't work), the audience was mostly grown ups, and every one of us was laughing. And there were so many kind of jokes. One of my favourites is Batman saying it would be stupid to have villains fight villains.

And of course The LEGO Batman Movie isn't just action and fun, even though that would've worked too. There's some pretty deep and important stuff about Bruce getting over his fear of intimacy and all that. Of course all that is kind of sappy, but hey, when isn't stuff like that sappy? It's still really nice to see Bruce Wayne / Batman actually have more character development in The LEGO Batman Movie than in the whole Nolan trilogy. Also there are probably a lot of adults out there who might actually see their own issues in Bruce Wayne, who is not going to just be dark brooding Batman and never let anyone close. And also I mean it gives children a nice lesson about family as well. Altogether all the life lessons in The LEGO Batman Movie were so nice, and even if they were sappy, even someone with cynic's traits might melt a bit. I know I did.

Right now I can't think of anything wrong with this movie. It was a great experience! It has the best parts of a children's movie and a superhero movie. It's an excellent movie, better than any other Batman movie, and the only Batman movie I've given a full 10/10.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
10 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment