Friday 3 February 2017

Disco Pigs (2001)


Directed by: Kirsten Sheridan
Written by: Enda Walsh

Pig and Runt were born only moments apart from each other. They are twins all but by blood, and they have a weird connection. They are a notorious duo in their town, wreaking havoc all around, but few days before their 17th birthday, they start to drift apart when Pig's sexual awakening and insane jealousy starts disturbing their balance


I had never heard of this movie until I stumbled upon it in the rental store today. And again, I was taking advantage of a discount where you'd get five movies for a week for 7 euros so I had to find more movies. The name Disco Pigs caught my eye because it was interesting yet told nothing about the movie. It's a name like "Trainspotting" and not a name like "Horrible Bosses". 

Mostly this movie made me really uncomfortable. It's mostly the story and the weird relationship between Pig and Runt, and especially Pig as a character made me super uncomfortable with his inappropriate behaviour. He's the exact kind of person I wouldn't want to meet anywhere even briefly, because I'd have to be scared he's going to do something erratic. I've mostly seen Cillian Murphy in really creepy roles like in Red Eye and Batman Begins, and this one is no different. From the very beginning it's like oh no, It's Cillian Murphy and he's going to do something awful again.

There's just something about their relationship that makes me want to tell Runt to run away. And at the same time I see comments about them, like some people don't just want Runt to be safe from Pig, which seems so weird to me. 

There's a lot of beautiful imagery in this movie, a lot of beautiful themes. It's very artsy but I just can't help but feel uncomfortable all through the movie. I can't appreciate all the beauty in it because I just can't stand Pig. 

Another thing that bothers me is the way they talk. No, not the Irish accent but sometimes the dialogue seems creepily childish. 

But I can see it's a great movie. It's well written, it's artistic and magical, it has great cast. I just don't like it on personal level.

☆☆☆☆
4 / 10


No comments:

Post a Comment