Monday 17 July 2017

Kill Your Friends (2015)


Directed by: Owen Harris
Written by: John Niven

An A&R man working at the height of the Britpop music craze goes to extremes in order to find his next hit.


I rented Kill Your Friends mostly because of the cover and the title caught my eye, and the plot seemed like the exact thing I like. It wasn't until later I realised it was based on a novel by John Niven and written for the screen by the same guy. No wonder it seemed so good! (I actually said that to Niven on Twitter, and he just said "Ha!" I have no idea what he meant by that)

Kill Your Friends reminds me of Filth, which has shaped my taste in movies a whole lot. Well, instead of a Scottish policeman, the main character works in the music business and tries to scheme his way to the top while stabbing his "friends" in the back. This is the kind of stuff I really love in movies. They are awful, and you can't actually like the characters, but there's just something so amazing and enthralling about these asshole characters. It might be because you kind of want something bad to happen to these people because they represent the type of people you hate. But also it can be quite fun to see these awful people doing well in these movies. 

The story progresses well, though there are few a bit boring moments they probably could've survived without, but I guess they add something to the character, I don't know, but in the long run they seemed a bit empty. 

Nicholas Hoult is an incredible actor, and it was interesting to see what he brings to this role. I hadn't seen him in a role like this. He does an excellent if surprising job portraying this complete asshole. 

And since this is a movie about music business, the music is of course incredible. 

Kill Your Friends is an interesting, thrilling movie, definitely worth watching, even though it can be pretty rough at times. 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
8 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment