Monday 15 September 2014

"How dare you be rude to this women who has invited us into her tent, offered us her hedgehog?" "Says the man who throws women from trains."


While the world is in the middle of crisis, bombings and a possible start of war, Sherlock Holmes knows who is behind all terrorist attacks - not nationalists, not anarchists, but professor J. Moriarty. Holmes takes Watson, who was looking forward to his honeymoon, on his hunt for the professor across the Europe.

I remember when everyone was excited about the last Harry Potter movie, and at the same time I was freaking out over the trailer of this. And I think I went to see it two times. I've seen the other movie too, but A Game of Shadows is way better. I mean for one thing it has an actual villain from the stories, and not some cult leader who comes back from dead. Don't get me wrong, the first movie was also brilliant, but seemed a bit far fetched. It seemed like something sir Arthur Conan Doyle would roll his eyes at. Then again that man would roll his eyes at anything Sherlock Holmes related, since he truly hated the stories. He truly wanted to kill the Holmes character but the fans didn't let him. I'm just waiting for film or a TV show that finally gives audience the true ending sir Arthur Conan Doyle wanted.

Even though I liked Moriarty in this film, I don't like him as a character at all. Actually I phrased that wrong. He's a great character, but his character is used wrong. In the stories he appears in two short stories. And in the TV shows and movies he's used again and again and again. This is kinda why I did like the villain in the first movie more, but then again the first movie was ruined by Moriarty doing secretly stuff in the background. And if there's a stand-alone Sherlock Holmes movie, who is the villain? It's almost exclusively Moriarty. It's annoying, I mean he is one villain and there are so many.

If there's one thing I adore in Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes movies it's the special effects. They are extremely well done and effective. And I also love how they made Holmes a good fighter. I mean in the stories he kind of is - at least he's strong and all that. But in the TV shows and other movies I've seen he doesn't fight that much. Of course that's kind of different these days, but I like seeing fighting Holmes. It kind of shows that if he really wants to, he can be an expert in many, many things, and he's not just clever. It more like seems that... Holmes thought martial arts were interesting, and he studied them - probably read about them mostly - and then adapted to them. I don't know, but I really like the idea.

I sort of hope for the third part, but then again I don't know what they could even do. I mean the ending of this movie was perfect on it's own, so it could be amazing just to leave it at that, you know. 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment