Friday 23 January 2015

"1,2,3,4, I won't take no anymore. 5,6,7,8 - I want you to be my mate. 1,2,3,4 - you're the one that I adore. 5,6,7,8 - don't run from me cause this is fate."


Megan doesn't like kissing her boyfriend and only has pictures of girls on her locker. That's why her parents draw the conclusion that Megan has to be a lesbian. She is sent to "sexual redirection" school, where young homosexuals are taught how to be straight. Megan has to make a choice between trying to be straight for her parents, or to live life as who she is.

I have only seen few GIFs of the movie, and I didn't even know the plot until I decided to watch the movie.

The movie was actually much better than I expected. I've had the idea that LGBTQIA -movies, especially ones about lesbians, always have a tragic ending. But this one was actually so positive and cute, and a wonderful satire. The atmosphere and music made the whole thing feel like a weird satiric fairy tale. Also the movie showed how idiotic it is to try "converting" homosexuals etc. to be "normal" straight people. However the film did not explore how abusive said conversion therapy can be, but that probably was because they still wanted this movie to be very light-hearted. And I think that was the right direction to go. Of course But I'm A Cheerleader  was partly very cheesy and so on, but in general it was very cute. I want to see more movies about lesbians, but movies like this, and not tragic movies where the lesbians either die or become straight. 

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment