Monday 5 January 2015

"We are the sin eaters. It means that we take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us, so that the rest of our case can stay pure. "


The Bourne Legacy takes place around the same time as the events of The Bourne Ultimatum. 

Aaron Cross, a new hero, experiences life-or-death stakes that have been triggered by previous events.
- Universal Pictures

Right now I'd like to state that I haven't seen The Bourne Ultimatum, or the two movies made before that. That's mostly because action movies are mostly tiring and repeating, and it's hard to find a really original action movie. In that genre everything is already done before, and the film makers are basically recycling two or three different kind of plots. I would've thought that I wouldn't have understood The Bourne Legacy at all, since it's more like a spin-off with new main character and all that. The plot, however, isn't too complicated, so even though a new viewer might feel a bit lost at the beginning, everything starts to make more or less sense eventually. Of course there are questions like, what are all the operations here, and all that. So yeah.

The plot wasn't exactly very rich. Still they made the movie two hours long. It could've been cut a lot shorter than that. There was such uselessly long car / motorcycle chase scene, that could've been half of the length. And many of the action scenes could've been shorter, and the point still would've been made. Eventually the question is, was the movie even necessary? Does this movie, in any way, make the other movies deeper? I mean the books probably give more depth to the story, but I read the movies are loosely based on the books. But I'm pretty sure the world of movies could survive without this one.

I like Jeremy Renner as an actor. He does good job most of the time. However it's kind of sad how often his put in action movies. I think I need to see him in some kind of drama or thriller to be sure how good he actually is. 

Sure, The Bourne Legacy is decent entertainment. Maybe I've just becoming more, I don't know what's the word that wouldn't offend anyone, mature with movies. I used to like action, but nowadays I see how a good drama or a thriller is always, always more complex and better than an action movie.

☆☆☆
3 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment