Monday 26 January 2015

10 Favourite Movies in Alphabetical Order

I did one of these posts years ago, with 21 movies, and it has been one of the most viewed posts I've ever made. So I thought, now that my taste has changed and evolved and all those things, I might do another one. I planned doing one before, I just couldn't get 21 movies. I have no idea why it was so hard, but after like seven movies I thought that nothing was good enough. Now I found ten movies, though that was hard too.  If I regret anything on this list, it's that there isn't enough women in these. Nobody makes movies about women, not enough at least, and that's affecting my list quite a bit. 

I won't explain the stories here, I don't think I have to. If you take an interest in any of these, there is iMDB. I'm only telling what I think, or otherwise it would take me days to finish this, and then it would be way too long. 

So now, ten very good movies. Maybe being my favourite has nothing to do with rating, maybe it does. You will see.

1. Birdman (Or The Unexpected Virtue Of Ignorance)

Some of you might wonder, how can I say Birdman is one of my favourites, if I only saw it two days ago. Well I just know. Birdman was an amazing and stunning movie. The story was great and shocking, even. The filming was amazing and something I had never seen before, and the soundtrack was also very, very good and something new. Birdman just was something very different with it's dialogue which was very real. And the filming made it seem like something more than a movie, it was clearly and simply just Riggan's life, and we saw it with the eyes of the cameraman, we were intruding. There's nothing I don't like about Birdman, I will fight you on this.
10 / 10

2. Death To Smoochy

Death To Smoochy is, well, it's not the most serious movie of the ones I have on this list.  It's directed by Danny DeVito and it's about two kids' show hosts. I guess that tells enough. But there's something very entertaining about Death To Smoochy, and it's a wonderful satire about show business. I love it because of how half of it's is colourful and cheerful, like a kids' show, and the rest is dark like some gangster movie. It has amazing actors, and I made my new year's resolution after this movie. Also it showed me how brilliant Edward Norton's facial expressions can be - usually he doesn't look that extravagant in drama. But seriously Death To Smoochy is very good if you need something fun and cheerful but then again don't want to feel nauseated by something too sweet.
9 / 10

3. Fight Club

Fight Club is something that changed my life when I was 15 and read the book. It was so real and so brutal. I watched the movie when I was 18, and at first I felt like it wasn't at all as good as the novel. Then I saw the movie again and, yes, it was as good. Fight Club is visually something amazing, and I truly love how it looks. It has great actors, even though I usually don't like Brad Pitt, but I do like him in this one. The special effects in this movie are also brilliant, and the directing is magnificent - but do these things even matter? Fight Club's writing is something so amazing that even though they would've actually made the movie crappy, and not just made it look like that, it would've still be very good because of the story. Fight Club is a cult classic, and it needs to be seen. 
10 / 10

4. Filth

I've seen Birdman once, Fight Club twice and Death to Smoochy three times, but Filth... I've seen it so many times I've lost count. I really like the story, and Filth actually made me like Irvine Welsh, and that of course led to Trainspotting and all those other things written by him. Filth is so great, I actually made 21 page analysis on it, when we only needed to do 5-10. Yeah, I guess I was just a tiny bit excited about it. Filth is also very brutal, and it's hard to tell a genre to the movie, because it's sort many genres, but not enough of any of those. But Filth is so brutal it's not for everyone, it's very distressing, even though it's hilarious. I guess that partly that's what makes it so good.
10 / 10


5. Girl, Interrupted

Girl, Interrupted was one of those movies that's been quoted all around the Internet and there are so many GIFs made of it, etcetera. So I finally decided to watch it, and when I did it had been a really long day, and, well, Girl, Interrupted is very dark movie, which is kind of why it might have been a wrong choice during a long hard day. But I watched it and it was amazing. I liked the story, and I think I kind of like sad and dark stories like Girl, Interrupted - not that it's that sad, it's just... yeah. The acting was amazing and I truly love Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie. They are both so amazing. And the story was amazing, I think I need to read the novel.
10 / 10

6. Heathers

Heathers, too, is one of those movies  that has been quoted very much online, and that's why I took an interest. Heathers was actually very interesting, and the story was something I had never read or seen before. Heathers also was very distressing. It had great costume department, and the writing was just so amazing. I heard there's a musical based on Heathers. I don't plan on watching it, I think the movie was good enough as it was.
8 / 10

7. Leaves Of Grass

When ever there are twins in a movie, they either are exactly alike, or completely different. In Leaves Of Grass, they were different, and it seemed almost unreal, since Edward Norton played the both. It was actually hard to even grab the concept, that they both were Norton. I kept seeing the other brother as Sam Rockwell, and I have no idea why,  that idea just kept coming to my head. The story of Leaves Of Grass was interesting, and it has largely influenced my current story (along with Survivor written by Chuck Palahniuk). Leaves Of Grass was very good and unpredictable.
7 / 10

8.  Primal Fear

I usually don't like movies about trials, because they usually go the same way, the main character lawyer man wins the trial, but it usually comes with a twist. I don't know if the writers think that twist makes the movie any different from others, because that twist is what's made the type so clichéd. And, well, Primal Fear seemed like that too, but the twist was much more complicated and came in several parts, and I felt so cheated when the movie ended. If you want your mind fucked, Primal Fear is perfect for that. Otherwise it's just a decent movie, but oh hell...
9 / 10 

9. The Silence Of The Lambs

I still remember the first time I saw The Silence Of The Lambs. It was so brilliant and exciting and I think I threw up afterwards, but I don't know if that had anything to do with the movie. But The Silence Of The Lambs is something everyone (who isn't too scared) should see. Anthony Hopkins as Dr Hannibal Lecter is one of the two fictional characters I'm actually scared of (The other one is in Primal Fear but that's much more complicated). The Silence Of The Lambs is a brilliant movie with wonderful lead actress and main character. Clarice Starling is hundred times better than any male character would be in her shoes. Clarice Starling is my heroine. 
10 / 10

10. The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Grand Budapest is a wonderful comedy, and I had to argue about this once. Just because The Grand Budapest doesn't make you piss your pants from laughing so much, it still is a comedy, but much more subtle. Anyway, visually The Grand Budapest Hotel is the most amazing I've ever seen. The colours are wonderful. The story might get boring after some time, but since it's funny and visually so amazing, I think it will continue to be one of my favourites for a long time. The movie has wonderful actors, wonderful cinematography and music. Everything just clicks.
10 / 10.


So there they are now, ten of my favourites. Last time I had so many action and superhero stuff there, and now it's dramas and comedies and few thrillers. I hope some people will find something good to watch with my list.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment