Tuesday 23 August 2016

Magic Mike (2012)


Directed by: Steven Soderbergh
Written by: Reid Carolin

A stripper takes a young man under his wing and teaches him to strip, but no action is without consequence. 


Explaining why I ended up watching Magic Mike feels a bit in vain. I've seen the posters and the screen captions. Of course I wanted to see this.

I'm surprised how many people talking about this movie (and I mean talking it about casually. I haven't exactly read any other reviews or blog posts) leave out how good the story is. From what people have said I've just assumed it's a cute male stripper story, but there was a lot of depth left out. Sure, not all characters are deep and have a big reason for why they are stripping apart from money, but at least it's explained why the main character wants the money. It was interesting to see that Mike actually wanted to do something else because I didn't think that was the case at first.

The story is an excellent drama with a lot of ups and downs both in the story and the writing itself. The whole idea is quite good, and it's interesting to see what is going to happen, bu a lot of the characters are left blank. Does the audience care about anyone else than Mike and maybe a little about Adam? It's like Channing Tatum is the only one giving life to this movie, and all the other actors are mere accessories. Without Tatum this movie would feel even more hollow. 

Visually this movie is amazing, and I'm not just talking about the cast. I mean the choreographic used in the dance numbers is excellent, and the colour scheme is extremely nice. 

I enjoyed this movie quite a lot, yet I have hard time figuring out why exactly. The story is good but not great, and that goes for many things in this movie, like the soundtrack, cinematograpy, etc. But I'd feel a bit horrible to say that the only thing that kept me interesting was all the hot men, because that wouldn't be true. I think it's Channing Tatum who makes this movie enjoyable - he's charming, funny and easy on the eye, and a lot better at acting than people say he is. He seems like an absolute sweetheart. 

☆☆☆☆☆☆
6 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment