Tuesday 16 August 2016

Hitch (2005)


Directed by: Andy Tennant
Written by: Kevin Bisch

Alex Hitchen is called a date doctor: he helps men to land dates. But his advice doesn't necessarily help him, when he is smitten on a gossip journalist, who is wondering how a regular guy - a customer of Hitchen's - lands a famous, beautiful woman


I've liked Will Smith since I was about 8 years old, and I realised I haven't seen that many movies from him. I've seen Men in Black and Shark's Tale (which was my favourite movie when I was eight), and seriously I thought it was a tragedy I haven't seen more. Well, of course there's Fresh Prince of Bel Air, but that is a whole other thing, isn't it?

Hitch is an amazing, light romantic comedy. I was suspicious at first, but Smith's character Alex Hitchen charmed me right away. He works with actually nice men who want a relationship instead of assholes, which is the key element that makes the character lovable. Mostly this movie works because of the characters. Hitchen is sweet, clever and honestly seems like the perfect man. Sara is clever, and while she has some typical romantic comedy tropes, she's still quite well written. All relevant characters grow significantly during the film. And it's amazing to see a romantic comedy about a black guy and a Latina woman without any annoying racial stereotypes - though of course I am no expert on this, so feel free to correct me.

Hitch just is an excellent movie. It's the perfect romantic comedy. It's sometimes ridiculous, but also genuinely funny. And it's so sweet and I enjoyed almost every second of it. apart from the typical plot structure, and those few moments that almost frightened me that the film wouldn't go the way I'd want it to - because when you're watching romantic comedies, it's important the films don't just shit all over your face. They are for fun, and the audience doesn't necessarily need some huge plot twist that the writers came up with just so they could change the whole genre and be fake artsy.

In short this is a really nice movie, something I genuinely liked, even if I sometimes am a bit cynical towards romantic comedies. This movie made me smile and feel all warm inside. I definitely recommend this.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
10 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment