Sunday 19 March 2017

About Time (2013)


Directed and written by: Richard Curtis

At the age of 21 Tim discovers the men in his family have the ability to travel back in time and change things that have happened in their life. He decides to use his gift to find love, but he also learns something about the nature of life itself.


While I was at the rental store with my friend, we would've probably been there forever if she hadn't just decided on the fifth film for me. She chose About Time and promised me it was really good. I was sceptical, as I often am when someone else chooses a film for me to watch. And now that this movie is after, I know at least one friend whose taste I can trust.

I liked the plot almost instantly. Usually I'm not fond of any love related plots, and by that I mean how the main character knew he wanted to find love. Still it was clear that wasn't the only thing he was searching for. Moving to London he wanted to find his place, his future, and that was something many of us can relate to. Finding love just happened along the way, tho it was a bit frustrating to watch. How dumb can you be, travelling back in time without realising then you never met the girl? And why did he keep trying to find her? Sure, they are great together, but still it seemed a bit bothersome. 

One of the nicest scenes in this movie - and there are a lot - was the one in the dark restaurant where neither the characters nor the audience can see. It was amazing to see how well Tim and Mary clicked, even though they didn't even see each other. Because of that the first sight of Mary was so special. 

These kind of romantic movies seem to have the same structure, so I kept waiting for something tremendously bad to happen, like some misunderstand which would lead to awful things that would eventually turn out to be good and all that. But About Time's structure is different. Time isn't simple, and the events in Tim's life are just that - they are life. They are normal things, and his life is relatively normal apart from the time travelling thing. It's really nice, and it's very beautiful. 

About Time is a very beautiful, funny and touching movie. It's amazing, and I'm really glad my friend chose it for me. 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment