Thursday 30 March 2017

The Evil Dead (1981)


Directed and written by: Sam Raimi

Five friends travel to a cabin in the woods, where they unknowingly release flesh-possessing demons.


If I'm watching horror, I tend to prefer zombies and / or violence instead of ghosts and possession. Why? I watched The Grudge 2 when I was 12 and it scarred me for life and I'm still not into any horror movies where the horror comes from ghosts and that kind of supernatural stuff. (Yes yes, zombies are supernatural, I know, but it's different because I didn't watch zombie stuff when I was 12). I still wanted to see The Evil Dead partly because of its status among horror films, but also because I really want to start watching the show Ash vs. Evil Dead, and obviously I need to see the original ones first.

My expectations were high. When I said I rented the Evil Dead, most people asked if it was the original one. I didn't even know there was a remake. But if that many people care, this one obviously has to be good, right?

Watching The Evil Dead in 2010s is kind of weird. It feels like one hell of a trope fest, but you can't help but think, how many of these tropes did this movie start? How can I judge that when I don't know, and it's for a review on a blog and I'm too lazy to do some research? And it's better to not actually address all that, because then I'd have to talk again about how stupid the characters are, because everyone's always a total idiot in horror movies. If I had to address that every time I watched horror movies, I'd probably never watch another horror movie again.

While the story is great, and this is an excellent things there are few things that bother me. One of them is the cinematography. It's sometimes so weird and bad it ruins the mood. And sometimes it feels like the movie is a bad home video made by my dad. That is an eccentric look and it could be either good or bar. In this movie that look did work, but then most of the cinematography was just weird.

Another thing was the effects, but hey, it's the 1980s, so it's not like I was expecting something hyper realistic. And I think it's better this way. All that crappy make up and stuff makes everything even more horrifying. You can't really get that same feeling with CGI.

While I notice and can acknowledge why The Evil Dead has that reputation as cult classic, and I see why it was a big deal when it came out, it kinda leaves me cold. Could be the fact that it's kind of short, and I'm hoping to see more of Ash. There's something really charming about Bruce Campbell as Ash, and I don't know what it is yet. But even if I'm not a big fan of the Evil Dead, I'm definitely going to see the second movie, and also The Army of Darkness. Just probably not immediately 'cause I have so many other movies to see, but soon.

☆☆☆☆☆
5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment