Sunday 26 March 2017

Slumdog Millionaire (2008)


Directed by: Danny Boyle & Loveleen Tandan (co-director)
Based on a novel by: Vikas Swarup
Screenplay by: Simon Beaufoy

A Mumbai teen reflects on his upbringing in the slums when he is accused of cheating on the Indian Version of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?"


I've mostly been avoiding movies that win the academy award for best picture, because it has become obvious they aren't in my taste, so why force myself to watch something I'd find boring and then complain about it online and cause arguments and blah blah. Of course there are several that are of interest: Moonlight (2016), Spotlight (2015), No Country for Old Men (2007) and of course, Slumdog Millionaire - mostly because it seemed thrilling, but also because it's directed by Danny Boyle, who still hasn't disappointed me.

The story is intriguing, and it shows the worst and best of India. It shows the slums and brutality, but also the glamour of the rich. And the line between the two is clear, because not everyone is happy to just let a "slumdog" to become a millionaire and change the dynamic. But of course that's not just India, this is pretty much every country, where the differences between the poor and the rich are growing.

And this movie is so thrilling. Towards the end I was ready to scream, because I was so excited. I was hopeful and scared at the same time and had no idea what would happen to Jamal, would he get the answer right or wrong. 

One of the key features of this film is the structure. The narrative isn't chronological, and instead it's mostly told in flashbacks. That's always  risky, but in Slumdog Millionaire it's used amazingly. It tells you what you need to know and when you need to know it, not sooner than needed. This gives that certain air of mystery when you don't yet know everything, but you want to.

I wasn't really into the love story, but also I couldn't think what would make it better, so I probably shouldn't go into that.

Slumdog Millionaire is an amazing movie, very thrilling. There were several little things bothering me, but all in all it's astonishing and definitely deserved its win. 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
8 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment