Thursday 30 November 2017

Skeleton Crew (2009)


Directed by: Tommi Lepola & Tero Molin
Written by: Tero Molin &  Teemu Molin

An asylum is being used by a film crew trying to film the movie "Silent Creek" based on murders that occurred in the 70's. The institution was shut down after Doctor Andersson "The Auteur" was caught making snuff films of himself torturing patients to death. It was believed that all the films were confiscated, yet the location where they were developed and screened was never found. While doing recordings, the crew find a hidden room. It contains the Doctor's undiscovered recordings, although the crew is disgusted by the snuff films, they decide not to call the police. The director of Silent Creek, becomes obsessed with Anderssons' films. He begins to act deranged, claiming their film is "not real enough".


I actually wanted to see this movie so bad I straight up bought it. Didn't cost much, I bought it used, but still... I haven't really bought movies without seeing them in ages, except if they have my favourite actor in them and I can't find them in the rental store - that's what happened with The Legend of Barney Thomson, and other movies featuring Robert Carlyle.

This time, did I want to see this movie because of an actor? Well, if like 4 second role counts, yes, but mostly I just have been going through the IMDbs of my teachers to find anything interesting, and Skeleton Crew seemed like the most interesting movie there is to find. One of my teachers was a gaffer and a co-producer for this movie, and the plot seemed so awful it had to be at least entertaining, so I wanted to see this. And it feels weird saying this here since in July I did give the address to this blog to said teacher but I'm sure he only checked it out once, if even that, so I think I'm safe and he doesn't have to know one of the reasons I got this movie was to see his magnificent performance as a "snuff victim 3". By the way, it's weird seeing your teacher get murdered on screen. Anyway...

Skeleton Crew is definitely a weird movie. And I guess it's because I kept telling myself (and my friend) that this is going to be so bad, that I'm almost positively surprised. It was bad, but like with so many movies like this, it's kind of the point. If a movie like this would be made completely seriously and well, it wouldn't have any kind of charm, would just make you wonder if the writers are okay. When it's done with a tongue-in-cheek attitude, it's usually more entertaining.

Skeleton Crew plays with horror movie tropes in a fun, fourth wall breaking way, while being brutally violent and just... fucked up. It's been hours since I saw the movie, and I'm still confused about... well, everything.

It's a bad movie, but I definitely had fun when watching it. So if you do watch it, make sure you watch it friends, because this is one of those movies where it's just sad when you watch it alone and can't really laugh about it at the same time.

(Lighting was on spot, by the way, if my teacher does read this.)

☆☆☆☆
4 / 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment