Monday 23 April 2018

Alice Through The Looking Glass (2016)


Directed by: James Bobin
Written by: Linda Woolverton
Based on characters created by: Lewis Carroll

Alice returns to the whimsical world of Wonderland and travels back in time to help the Mad Hatter.


When Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland came out, I loved that movie so much. It's still amazing to me. I'm not a big fan of fantasy, but it's so different from the typical fantasy world, maybe because the original books were children's stories, so the world is more colourful than what the typical fantasy world would look nowadays in a movie or a video game. And the way it looked and worked in the first movie, it was amazing, and I just wanted to know more about the world. I tried to purchase the video game, but it gave me vertigo when I tried to control it, so I gave up on that. So when Alice Through The Looking Glass finally came to Netflix I decided to watch it.

And boy am I disappointed.

Right from the start it just doesn't feel right. Sure, I remember how the first one ended but still it's like what is this, Pirates of the Caribbean? It's just a pointless ship thing and... What did it tell us? Alice's skills as a captain maybe, and that Alice is at sea, but we could've skipped this part and just start when Alice comes back to the UK.

Something just is missing. This movie isn't as charming, and the characters feel less like themselves. They feel shallow, and some characters seem like they are important to the plot but you could easily edit some characters out and change the plot a little, and it would still be similar movie. I think most of the characters just were there because they were in the original. Like honestly, we could've used a whole different plot and the only one we really needed from the original characters is Alice, maybe the people in the real world, but from Wonderland... We just don't need them all yet there they are.

Time travel plots are always interesting, and I mean interesting because there are so many different types, and almost all work differently. Here we have barely any explanation to how it works, what can you change (nothing), and what can happen. The idea here is alright, but it just doesn't work as a story. There's something you could salvage and use to make a different plot, a better plot.

Visual effects, costume design, all that jazz is alright but it's not as interesting as the first movie. It's repeating itself and is offering barely anything new.

There are only two characters I actually care about. Of course Alice, who is charming and just an amazing character, and who Mia Wasikowska plays well. The other character is a bit more novel: Time, portrayed by Sacha Baron Cohen. Time as a person is interesting, the design is amazing and if the part had been bigger and written better, Sacha Baron Cohen could've given a great performance. It's still great and I enjoy it, but I feel like the writing is what's ruining it. The design reminds me of Dragon in Dark Sarah's music videos.

If I could I'd just take the parts I like about this movie and make a different screenplay that wouldn't necessarily need "Alice in Wonderland" stuff in it. A character like Alice and then the Time thing... Like there's something there. This movie is close to alright but it still manages to fail.

☆☆☆
3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment