Wednesday 21 March 2018

Hurricane Bianca (2016)


Directed and written by: Matt Kugelman

A New York teacher, who moves to small town Texas where he's fired for being gay, returns disguised as a mean lady to get revenge on the nasty town.


Netflix recommended Hurricane Bianca to me because I have been binge watching RuPaul's Drag Race in the last three weeks. This recommendation came in handy because I had just moved on to season 8 and I hadn't really connected with any of the competitors the way I connected with Bianca Del Rio in season 6. I think I had passed that movie scrolling through Netflix before but didn't really pay attention until now.

The story itself is not the best but it sure is entertaining. It's hilarious, mostly thanks to all these amazing personalities, mostly Roy Haylock / Bianca Del Rio. There's so much charm and humour there, exactly why Bianca became my favourite. She's mostly the force that keeps the movie going. There are also other great performers in the film that keep it alive and save it from falling flat. But if it wasn't for Bianca Del Rio, even those small roles wouldn't help this movie.

The film is entertaining though of course some jokes are way too corny or childish but I'm ready to let that slide, which I don't do often, only when a movie gave me something. And while the humour is the main thing in this movie there's also an amazing meaning and message, which is something I can appreciate.

There was something weird going on in the movie, visually. There was something up with the lighting, and I discussed it with my friend Topi and his guess was that the lighting would've been made for Bianca's makeup, for it to look as good as it possibly can. That can be it, but I don't really know. There were many scenes where people or backgrounds or items looked fake and extremely unreal. 

I got used to it, eventually, but what I didn't get used to was the cinematography. Austin F. Schmidt, what the hell was that? Do you not know the rules of composition, or did you just want to break them as much as you could? Sometimes it was quirky and kind of fun but it was also super freaking annoying. Like if something gave this film an amateur look, it was the cinematography.

The weird lighting and cinematography almost make me want to go to my teachers and ask them to watch this movie only so they can explain to me why the hell does it look so wrong.

Apart from that, a very funny movie! Not the greatest, but certainly entertaining. I really want to see the sequel, I have friends already excited for it, so I'll definitely have company to watch this with.

☆☆☆☆☆☆
6 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment