Sunday 12 October 2014

"Wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore. You have to hit them with a sledgehammer, and then you'll notice you've got their strict attention."


Two detectives, a rookie and a veteran, are trying to catch a murderer. This murder chooses victims, who have committed one of the seven deadly sins.

I'm pretty sure most people have heard of Se7en. It might be stupid to assume that, but on the other hand Se7en is kind of a cult classic. I mean the plot - at least the small summary of the plot - is familiar to a lot of people. And I bet most of you have at least heard that one line being quoted, you know. "What's in the box?!"

I personally am grown tired of the deadly seven sins. Like whenever they are used they feel like such a cliché - which they totally have become by now. I mean I don't care how the seven sins are used; if there are "characters" based on these sins, if they are reason to kill someone, or whatever writers can possibly come up with. Most of those references to deadly seven sins are very tiring. Well, then again most references to Christianity are tiring, because people like to use the same things over and over. But for some reason I despise the deadly seven sins - and the seven virtues. Maybe it's that they are so old-fashioned, out-dated. the "new seven sins" feel so much more accurate at this time. ¨

I actually didn't think I'd watch this movie, because I didn't feel interested enough. (You can probably see why from my rant above) However Goodreads recommended the book for me, and I read it. I really liked the book, though. At first it felt like some really cheap literature you can buy at a kiosk, you know. But when it went on, it became really thrilling and I just had to keep on reading it, because when something very interested happened, there still was too many pages left, so you just know it's not over yet. And I read the whole book, even though at first it felt really, yeah, "cheap". But it was very, very good. If we compare, the movie isn't much different to the book - or actually the other way 'round. The book is in this case based on the movie. 

HOWEVER there's one thing that makes the book better. The book is almost humble. It doesn't try to be any better than it was. It was like someone just wrote it to get money so they can stay alive for weeks. The movie on the other hand, compared to the book, feels like it's trying too hard. Too hard to be all deep and thrilling and mysterious. It's weird how the book was better, I was almost certain movie would be based on it, because the book felt so much clearer - it had much more in it, but mostly just characters' inner thoughts and all that, nothing really relevant. I have a feeling I can't even but it in words, but the book had something the movie didn't. 

I think I'm starting to dislike Fincher. I mean Panic Room was good, Se7en was disappointing and, well, when I saw Fight Club I thought it was really good. I had read the book like three or four years earlier. I read the book again and I had a feeling Fincher didn't get it right at all. It's a good movie but it's... it's not Fight Club. I should watch the movie again and do another, angrier review, I think.  I think this is why I'm not interested in going to see the new movie by Fincher...

☆☆☆☆☆
5 / 10

1 comment:

  1. There are lot of those serial murderer vs. cops and this is definetely one of the best.

    ReplyDelete