Friday 27 June 2014

"Of course what we witness here is a basic misunderstanding of the principle of the head-butt. You're meant to hit the soft part of their nose with the hard part of your forehead, not the other way round."


I'm using a bloody book cover because I can't find a better and a big movie cover anywhere in five seconds. Five seconds is my total limit, if searching takes longer, I take whatever is available, or I take nothing at all.

I remember that on time I watched Starter For 10 for Benedict Cumberbatch. Jfc, I've come a long way from that.

Anyway, Starter for 10 takes place in the  80s. It tells the story of Brian Jackson, who goes to the university of Bristol, since his passion is knowledge. He also takes part to the University Challenge, but it's some kind of obvious thing that a young straight man will always find some girls, who will make him lose his focus from school and the actual things he is passionate about.

Even though Starter for 10 is actually pretty good and funny, it's also really painful to watch. I spend most of the time covering my eyes and whispering or yelling: "No Brian don't do that, Brian, no, just stop, BRIAN NO!" But obviously he never does anything differently. Brian's character is so embarrassing. He's not even clumsy in a cute way - nobody actually is clumsy in a cute way, seriously - but purely embarrassing. But then again I don't think the movie would have much point to the people who aren't interested in the social class structure that is featured in the movie more than often.

Starter for 10 actually made me want to go university really bad. I mean all the politics and everything. (Another movie that made me want to go to university is Liberal Arts. Main character says it's 'the only time you get to do this' etc.) But then I realised going to university here in Finland, in the 2010s wouldn't be the same. But still I feel the need to have a university life like this. Obviously I wouldn't go to University Challenge and fuck everything up, or accidentally say the wrong girl's name during a kiss and fuck everything up. I would fuck everything up in a different way.

☆☆☆☆☆☆
6 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment