Wednesday 4 June 2014

"What sort of parts do you play?" "Killers, mostly. Sex maniacs, perverts."


An author, Andrew Wyke sets up a game between him and his wife's lover, Milo Tindle, who comes to visit, since the wife wants a divorce.

Seriously, that's the easiest way to explain the plot. But the plot is so much more than that, it's really amazing. You wouldn't think that they'd make such an excellent thriller with only two actors. Of course Sleuth is a newer version of the film by the same name. Michael Caine was in that one too, and I believe that is just as fine, thrilling movie with only two actors.

I haven't watched the original one yet. But then again I have the feeling I never will. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it, but some people claim almost too aggressively that it's better. I liked this one very much, and I'd hate to start liking this one less because the original one is better. I like this one, and I think the parts I like might be different, considering how different 1970s are compared to 2000s. That might sound vague, and it¨'s supposed to, since I don't want to give my favourite part away. Of course it can be given away with a few clicks since it's been discussed a lot on IMDb.

 Michael Caine and Jude Law are both amazing in their roles. Somehow the chemistry is always right. There's a different kind of chemistry when they first meet, they are polite to each other, but only a little. It's like every time something happens, their whole relationship change, after every plot twist followed by another, etcetera. It's really amazing. I mean the whole thing happens really quickly, and still the characters evolve a lot - they learn stuff, they use that in their devious little game, when their only goal is to outsmart and scare one another.

I like the witty dialogue, even though it's changed entirely from the original play. Almost every line is pure gold. Not by themselves of course, but when you have even three lines together, it's really amazing. Even when they really aren't saying anything, just useless politeness, it's still... somehow you can read a lot between the lines. It's truly amazing.

Also the movie score, composed by Patrick Doyle, is brilliant. One of my favourites.

I think I have loved this movie for many years. At least for like five or six years. I've loved it ever since I've seen it, I still do. This movie gets more hate than it deserves. It's a shame remakes always have to be compared to the original, even though they are their own movie and not made for comparison.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
10 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment