Sunday 6 July 2014

"But I don't want a whole new me, mother! I like myself the way I am!"


Penelope is a modern-day fairytale about a girl who is born with a nose of a pig, due to a curse in the family. The only way of breaking the curse is to find "one of her own kind" to accept her and love her as she is. This turns out to be quite a challenge, since all the blue-bloods run away when seeing Penelope. Eventually Penelope grows tired of this and runs away herself, finding her own way in the world.

Penelope was as amazing as I heard it would be. As a fairytale it would be much more beautiful and meaningful than those we are told when we are little. I mean I'd like to talk more about what in the end broke the curse but that would be spoiling, even though the quote I chose for the title already gives a lot away, doesn't it? If it does, it also means I don't have to explain so much why the end was so important. 

The film has some beautiful cinematography, great soundtrack and wonderful acting. Christina Ricci was absolutely magnificent, and so was Peter Dinklage and James McAvoy and mostly everyone. 

I'm currently trying to find one song from the soundtrack and this seems to be a big search, even though I have IMDb to guide me. (Just found it, Hoppipolla by Sigur Rós) Also now I've finally heard that "You're my sunshine" or whatever it is song, wonderfully horribly sung by McAvoy. At least I think it was really him, IMDb trivia doesn't mention it anywhere.

The movie is nice and beautiful in many ways, and it's very nice to kids as well as people my age - and probably people older than me. So if you have the time to watch it, please do. Amazing.

But now somebody might notice that even though I have nothing bad to say about Penelope here, I'm still not giving 10 stars. So what? Where did it went wrong? Well, it didn't go wrong. But somehow it seems like a movie that's... well it's worth watching once. I mean the meaningfulness came to life there. The second time won't be as magical. But I'll see it - maybe I'll watch it again and maybe I will change my decision.

(Also you've seen what kind of movies I like, so maybe that explains the rating also.)

☆☆☆☆☆☆
6 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment