Friday 31 October 2014

"It's like I said all that time ago, if the world doesn't end I wanna be here at home, with you. And that's how I live now."


Daisy is sent from the US to stay with relatives in English countryside. Suddenly the country is in war, and Daisy has to try to survive through it all with her cousin, while looking for the rest of the family.

To be honest I didn't read the whole summary of the movie when I started watching it. I just kinda thought it would be some kind of teenage drama movie about adaptation and life in general. Basically I didn't know what I was expecting. So when there suddenly is people wearing uniforms with guns at the airport and explosions and everything, I started to wonder what exactly am I watching. And even though I sort of realised what was going on, I still think there were so many things I didn't understand. And I really feel like I have to read the book to understand. It's a completely different matter if I can or can't find the book here in Finland.

I loved how the story was happening in the middle of the war and everything, but it still was a development story. The character development with the main character Daisy was actually very good. Though I'm kinda disappointed that all that development sort of happened because of a guy. I mean also sort of because of the war and the situation, but um... Daisy's love for Eddie was kind of playing a major part in the story. Sure, it was a romantic movie, but I still think that Daisy was thinking too much of Eddie and not enough of herself. I mean she and Piper left their shelter mostly because Daisy wanted to find Eddie. I mean I would've understand if it had been Piper wanting to find Eddie and Isaac - I mean they were her brothers. And of course another kind of disturbing side with Daisy and Eddie's relationship, but I don't want to go there. I mean for one thing I started thinking why is it disturbing. I drew to my own conclusions but I'm not going to analyse them here. After all this is a movie blog and not... a blog where I examine things society considers weird and taboo. 

I truly love Saoirse Ronan. She's a wonderful actress, and it's weird to think that she's only two years older than me... 

I really liked the music. Partly it reminded me of the music in Hanna, especially on the parts where the score was sort of like electronic soundtrack music. And I also want to give points for using the amazing music of Amanda Palmer and Daughter. It's always nice to hear your favourite bands or artists in a movie.

 But even though I was totally unprepared for this movie, I really liked it. It was dark and agonising and heart-breaking, but at the same time is was so beautiful and lovely. If a movie is all of those things, there's no way it's horrible. I recommend this movie very much, and if you end up watching this movie, I hope you are more prepared than I was.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
9 / 10

I also would like to give a little heads up on November. During November I will be participating on National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) which means I have to write 50,000 words in a month. So yeah, that could mean I won't do that much reviews, because I'm busy writing my novel loosely based on a skit by Comedy Bang Bang. If you are also participating, see my profile here.


No comments:

Post a Comment