Saturday 29 November 2014

"Are you fighting Katniss? Are you here to fight with us?" "I am. I will."


After blowing up the force field in the arena, Katniss Everdeen is rescued to the District 13, home of the rebellion against Capitol. In exchange for getting Peeta and the other victors back from the hands of Capitol, Katniss becomes the Mockingjay, symbol of rebellion.

First of all, I kinda thought that I would be disappointed with how the movie was divided to two parts. I mean I've always thought it was useless, since they never get all the important details there, so why bother trying to do everything so precisely if you seriously can't? That was pretty useless on Harry Potters, which were shit. I haven't seen Breaking Dawn, but I've read the book and I can understand why it was in two parts. I mean it's long and if it was all in the same, it would have to be so close-knit. But Mockingjay isn't that long. Lot of things happen, but it's still kinda slow book, so why does it need to do two parts? Anyway, it seems that the director Francis Lawrence is a pretty smart guy. I can't imagine a better way to end the part I of Mockingjay. The distress couldn't have been more perfect and agonising, if they had just gone on and done the whole thing. I mean Mockingjay isn't like The Hunger Games or Catching Fire. No, those have a lot of little things to "weed out". Mockingjay on the other hand doesn't have that much action, but it has a lot of important things. 

So, I'm very happy how the dividing turned out. Now what about Katniss?

I've read a lot of complaints about how Katniss doesn't really do anything in this movie and cries a lot, etcetera. I have a newsflash for those people who complain. Katniss Everdeen isn't an action hero. Katniss Everdeen is a 17-year-old girl suffering from PTSD. She had been forced to kill for her life and for others', she has seen people die around her, and she's lost her home district. So if we think about that, Katniss does an awful lot of things. For one thing, president Coin doesn't even want to get her in danger, because then they would lost their symbol. But Katniss does propaganda videos with the help of Cressida, Plutarch and Gale, to help unite the districts.

There isn't a lot of action in this movie, except for when they visit district eight, and seriously, that is the most action that has happened in the book in the first half. Of course that was extended a bit. The books are written completely on Katniss' point of view, so we don't see everything happening. So about two scenes with some sort of action were added, but Katniss weren't with them. And I actually like it this way. since Katniss wasn't chosen as a soldier but a symbol of rebellion. 

As a movie Mockingjay was very, very agonising. I'm pretty sure we heard someone cry during the ending. And Mockingjay doesn't have any of those really, really sad scenes, like Rue's death in the first one. It doesn't make you cry like that. But it is so fucking distressing, but that is the point. And I'm glad they didn't try to make it more "suitable" for the audience, that includes really young teenagers. It was agonising because it had to be. It was distressing from the start until the end. And it needed to be like that. Maybe this kind of agony makes the media forget the question "Team Peeta or Team Gale?" That question has nothing to do with The Hunger Games, and if anyone thought so, I hope at least the first part of Mockingjay makes people realise what truly matters. And what does truly matter? Katniss. Not who she loves, not who she chooses, but she as herself. She's the spark, she's the symbol, she is the story. 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment