Saturday 15 November 2014

"Dear Diary, my teen-angst bullshit now has a body count."


Veronica Sawyers is trying to be a part of the most popular girls. all called Heather, in school, when she meets J.D. They accidentally kill the most popular Heather, and they try to make it look like a suicide. J.D. however thinks one kill like this isn't enough

God, I haven't watched 80's high school movies since I watched either Tuff Turf or The New Kids. I've kinda been wanting to watch Heathers since I first saw people quoting it, mostly on the Internet. I don't know, if this movie has been a hit here in Finland or not, but I haven't heard many people talking about it, so I can assume it's either forgotten or it never as so big here. Also what really made me watch this movie right now is probably the music I've been listening to. I mean I've been listening to Chisu and Emilie Autumn and well, simply really dark songs by amazing ladies, and I sort of felt like this movie would be a good to watch right no. (I'll probably watch Girl Interrupted tomorrow, we'll see.)

Anyway, I'm still trying to understand why most of the 80's high school movies I've seen have been really dark and violent and disturbing. The only one that wasn't was Pretty In Pink, which however was a really boring and shit film, and I'm not going to see it ever again. But Tuff Turf was really violent, The New Kids was terrifying and now Heathers. Heathers was actually wonderfully disturbed and it was exactly what I would expect it to be. Too bad they don't make high school movies like this anymore. Sure, maybe it isn't very realistic (or maybe it is in the US, I have no idea how fucked up that place can be) but realism isn't what we need in high school movies, especially if the audience is in high school. People who are going through all that high school shit don't always want to see a movie where the characters go through exactly what the viewer goes through. And at least in Heathers all the violence and murders and suicides weren't there just for the sakes of violence and murders and suicides. They actually had a meaning. I don't know if I can say the same for Tuff Turf.

Also the music had a wonderful effect on the events of the movie. I've never liked the music in 80's movies, because it's sort of disturbing. However, disturbing music goes well with disturbing movie and scenes.

I'd love to write more, but I'm tired and I want to go to sleep. I really recommend Heathers to anyone, who isn't too judgemental on 80's high school movies.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
8 / 10


No comments:

Post a Comment