Sunday 30 November 2014

"You don't fit into a category. They can't control you. They call it Divergent."


When Tris is taking a test deciding to which faction she belongs to, she learns that she is divergent. She has the virtues to fit every faction, but she decides to join Dauntless - a faction that makes soldiers and protectors of the city. Tris also learns how dangerous it can be different from the others, because difference isn't tolerated.

My friend Tiina watched Divergent and liked it, and now that I'm again into dystopian science fiction, I thought I'd watch this. I was pretty sure I wouldn't like it as much as I like The Hunger Games, but it was also pretty good. However, since I've read The Hunger Games like three times and I adore that, I easily - almost to easily - notice things that were a lot better in The Hunger Games.

For some reason I thought that this movie lacked a bit of rebellion. Of  course I don't expect it to start just like that, the rebellion. That might of course have to do with how the factions were more or less equal. There wasn't a clear arrangement like with The Hunger Games, where there's Capitol which has everything, and the districts that are extorted. In Divergent, most of the factions were more or less happy with what they were doing, except for some factions which wanted more power. But if we look at the main character Tris, there isn't a clear faction which would be the "bad" one, extorting and heartlessly killing others - well, at first. In The Hunger Games Capitol and President Snow are made the enemy from the very start. I think both versions clearly represent something different. In The Hunger Games it's a relationship between the oppressor and the oppressed. And Divergent shows how people can be happily living inside a dystopia without knowing it, and it might take a lot to see what's wrong with the world. 

Also the music, which might seem like a little thing in this context, but it really means a lot to me. In Divergent you can actually hear songs that exist in our day. I mean they can be heard on the radio and such. But then there's The Hunger Games. There's only the music composed for the movies. There's only the kind of score music, and I think it really captures the life in districts well. There isn't any kind of popular music anywhere. Katniss said in one book, that music isn't considered important in the District 12, and the choosing of the soundtrack is very important then. The only actual songs are used during the credits, like Abraham's Daughter by Arcade Fire, Yellow Flicker Beat by Lorde, etcetera. And, well, I'm not so familiar with the world of Divergent, but I'd think the faction Abnegation wouldn't really listen to any kind of music. It would've been understandable, if there would've been more and more music the longer Tris was part of Dauntless.

I really feel like I don't know anything I should know about the world of Divergent. I really feel like the movie didn't do justice to the book. I haven't read the book, so I'm not sure. But I'm going to, just to be sure I understood. Maybe the book opens my eyes a bit more to the movie, who knows.

☆☆☆☆☆
5 / 10

(Note: This rating was edited on 21st of February 2015 due to thinking about the movie more)

No comments:

Post a Comment