Saturday 22 November 2014

"Problem? I haven't got a problem. I've got fucking problems. Plural."


Four Rooms tells four different stories in one hotel during one New Year's Eve. All those stories focus on Ted the Bellhopper's encounters with the most eccentric guests, for example a coven of witches, a man who has tied up his wife and points a gun at the bellhopper, the children of a Mexican Gangster and a movie star who has made the weirdest bet with a friend.

I remember how this movie was shown on TV when I was little, about ten years old. I wanted to see it, it seemed funny, but my mom decided that it was garbage, and she changed the channel. So I didn't get to see this until tonight. And heck!

At first I thought that Four Rooms was ridiculously extravagant, or extravagantly ridiculous Well, it totally was, but when it first seemed almost annoying (I saw the beginning as a kid, and as a kid everything extravagantly ridiculous is much funnier than when you get older) but as it went on, you get used to it. It might also have something to do with the director - all four stories had a different director. Of course Ted's manoeuvres were pretty much the same, but few stories the ridiculous extravagance were more annoying compared to some other story. And of course the ridiculousness came from different things with different writers / directors, but Ted was pretty much the same during the whole thing. Then again Ted grew tired of the whole thing during the story, but what I mean is his ridiculousness was the same.

The best example of the different kind of extravagant ridiculousness is, well, the director of the last part. Last story, Man From Hollywood, was directed by Quentin Tarantino. And if you have seen his film(s) then you know his style. And it does stand out. I usually don't even notice differences between directors, but there are few whose style I notice. Tarantino is one of them, and then there's Stanley Kubrick, but if a director isn't as distinctive as those, I barely can tell them apart. Like first three stories in Four Rooms could've been directed by the same people for all I noticed, but Tarantino's style was really noticeable. Then again he actually acting there also might have something to do with it, I don't know.

I really like Tim Roth as an actor. I've seen him in Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and in the TV-show Lie To Me. He's been wonderful in all of those. However, in Four Rooms I saw a different side of him. The roles I've seen before have been serious, in their own way, but Ted the Bellhopper is a character that can't be taken seriously. His movement and voice are so ridiculous and the ludicrous situations make the whole thing even more ridiculous.

Four Rooms is a funny movie with excellent actors, and I do recommend it, unless you're not a friend of really ridiculously extravagant comedy. And now the fucking theme song is playing in my head.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
8/10 



No comments:

Post a Comment