Tuesday 31 March 2015

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind." "No, it doesn't. There'll be one guy left with one eye. How's the last blind guy gonna take out the eye of the last guy left?"

Actually I've now added "Crime" into my genres, I mean I didn't use that before, because I thought it's useless and "Crime" movies usually go to other genres. Well, they don't always do that. I don't know if I'll start editing old posts and adding crime to them, because that would take me a lot of time and effort. I'll just start using it from now on, though I won't be using it on every movie that goes into crime genre, because sometimes it's useless.


Year: 2012
Director & Writer: Martin McDonagh

I don't know why I used that poster with Colin Farrell on it. It just seemed like he was the main character, and well "the seemingly normal one", so.

A screenplay writer is struggling with a story about seven psychopaths. He gets inspiration from the situation he's dragged in, when his friend kidnaps a dangerous gangster's Shih Tzu.

The story was interesting and well-written. It's kind of a mixture of action and dialogue, like the characters tell stories a lot to the screenwriter Marty, who is writing the story. The screenplay mixes quite a lot with the "real life", like the Vietnamese guy. Also it was funny how much the screenplay in the movie affected the events in the movie. Like several things said about the screenplay did happen. Marty wanted less violence in his movie, well, there wasn't any violence for a while, etcetera.

The dialogue had some kind of Tarantino-like style in it. Especially the first scene, in dialogue and in every way, it was like it could be straight from Tarantino's movies. Also the dialogue was somehow realistic at certain times. Characters were talking about stuff and not the actual issues they had faced. Of course this didn't happen all the time, I mean they had to address the elephant in the room sometime. One thing that was really cool in a weird way, was how when someone didn't hear him, Billy (especially, someone else did this too) repeated the exact same line. Not making it simpler, not changing anything about it. I tried to find and example for this, but the script I found doesn't have that line in it, I don't know why.

The cinematography was, shall we say, decent. It wasn't special in any way, it was pretty ordinary. It had some nice effects though, especially when some stories were told. 

I always love it, when the name of the movie or book is featured in the movie or book. Like in A Clockwork Orange, the writer is writing a book called A Clockwork Orange. And in this case, Marty was working on Seven Psychopaths. Though in this movie the script wasn't there just for a short time, it was kind of what was happening in the movie, apart from the whole Shih Tzu incident. It's kind of amazing, you have to really think that this probably didn't really happen. Marty almost sharing name with the writer / director really affects this too.

I really liked the characters and actors. In the characters, there were clichés, but nicely put clichés. They were mixed with some originality. The actors were all cast well, and especially the chemistry between Colin Farrell, Christopher Walken and Sam Rockwell truly worked. They were almost believable trio, like they didn't really belong together, but they still did as much as needed.

I really liked this movie. It might not be for everyone, but it was really, really well done and written. Really fun and interesting to watch.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment