Saturday 28 March 2015

"Bite my shiny metal hat!"


Year: 2009
Director: Peter Avanzino
Writers: Matt Groening and David X. Cohen (Created by), Ken Keeler, David X. Cohen, 

While Leo Wong is planning to destroy a purple dwarf star for miniature golf course, Leela joins the eco-feminists and Bender falls in love with the wife of the Donbot of the Robot Mafia. Meanwhile Fry notices he can read others thoughts. After he loses at poker, he finds out it's (again) he's destiny to save endangered animals from powerful telepathic beings, the dark ones.

I've been watching Futurama with my sis for the past six months and I can't get enough of it. Soon we'll run out of episodes, but luckily we have these feature-length Futurama movies.

First I was kind of nervous that the movie would be ruined by the length. I mean usually when a TV show is developed into a movie, it seems like the makers had hard time coming up with a plot that's long enough. I was afraid that Into The Wild Green Yonder would be unnecessarily lengthened, but it wasn't. Actually it felt weirdly short, even though it was long compared to the 20 minute episodes, but still, it went pretty fast. 

What's most importantly, the movie was just as funny as the TV show. And Futurama offers all kinds of humour, I mean there's parodic and saritic humour, really absurd humour, stupid sex jokes, and just really weird humour, situation comedy and all kinds of humour, really. Actually that seems to be true on everything Groening has created and developed and written himself. At least Futurama proves that. I haven't watched Simpsons that much, but Groening's comics are also hilarious in many different ways, it's amazing. I really like and admire Matt Groening, I've  read Life In Hell since I was little. Maybe not the best comic for a 12-year-old, but I loved it. It's always a pleasure to see his head in a jar in episodes of Futurama.

The plot of this movie was interesting. It developed the same way episodes developed in the earlier seasons - it started with something not so important and just went on before you realise what the point was. And well the plot of Into The Wild Green Yonder was sort of complex, with so many  different side plots.

There's actually one thing this movie did that no episode did. I actually felt excited and thrilled during the end. I mean of course you know how these things usually end, but still it was thrilling, the whole situation seemed almost hopeless. I'm actually really amazed now.

And like any Futurama episode, 33 % of all the characters were voiced by Billy West. Okay, maybe not that much, but when you open the iMDB page, Billie West's roles just go on and on. Oh my god.

So yeah, this movie was good. I can't say if it was better or worse than the TV show, and why should I say either. I mean, they are part of the same story-arc, more or less. Would I recommend this movie to anyone? Well, yeah, but first you need to see first four seasons, and preferably the fifth season after this movie. But do as you please, I mean there's really not some kind of big plot that would join the plots of all movies and episodes. And of course this movie may not be cinematic masterpiece, but I don't think it's supposed to be. It's supposed to be fun, and it totally is.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
7 / 10


No comments:

Post a Comment