Sunday 1 March 2015

"Just because he's talking to the man in the sky doesn't mean he's good enough to be your friend."


The Invention Of Lying takes place in an alternative world, where everybody always tells the truth, until one total loser, Mark, suddenly learns to lie.

I think the first time I hear about this movie it was recommended to me by my dad. I don't even remember what exactly he said. I don't know, I mostly watched this movie because it's on My List. 

Of course the alternative world of this movie is extremely interesting. I don't know, most people think truth is always better than a lie, but that's... not always true. In some cases of course it's best to say your honest opinion, but, you know, it's also important to be considerate. I mean nobody really likes those people who say whatever is in their mind, never mind that it's hurtful to someone. Well, in this world, before Mark learnt to lie, that was really frustrating. People were sincere jerks to each other, but that was completely okay, because what was the alternative? There was none. So I'm not surprised by how many people seemed kinda depressed in this movie. 

But when Mark learnt how to lie, things got pretty frustrating after a while. It was kind of the same feeling as in Bruce Almighty, when things just start to go to hell. I'd want to say more, but then some people might be angry about me spoiling the movie.

I don't know which part of the movie was more interesting: everything telling the truth or everyone believing a lie. Because if in society nobody lies, then there's no reason to not believe something. And, well, since I'm living in a world where people lie and people are usually kind of suspicious about unbelievable tales, everyone in the universe of the movie seemed so naive. Like "oh you said you want 800 dollars, but the computer says you only have 300 dollars? Probably a computer error, here you go." It's like... What? What the fuck? It's hard getting used to the way of the movie because of that. 

I don't know if it was what Ricky Gervais and Matthew Robinson had in mind, but did people also take everything quite literally? Like the man in the sky. I don't know, it was never said straight, but was there also no metaphors in this world? Of course the fact that there was no fiction was kind of weird. 

Even though the idea was interesting, I don't think it lived up to that. Like the idea was so brilliant, but I was expecting a bit more from the story. It was really generic, although I wasn't expecting anything ground-breaking. So the movie was decent, but could've been a lot better.

☆☆☆☆
4 / 10





No comments:

Post a Comment