Friday 21 August 2015

"When Logan said 'jump', did you actually say 'how high' or was there just an understanding that you would achieve max verticality?"


Year: 2014
Director: Rob Thomas
Writers: Rob Thomas & Diane Ruggiero

Veronica Mars gets pulled back to her hometown to help an old friend being accused of murder and just in time for high school reunion.

First of all, I haven't watched Veronica Mars TV show - ever. That's why it might have been a mistake to watch a movie, right? I didn't know any of the characters, I didn't what had happened before and all that... So why watch the movie? I don't know, the Internet was working, and I felt lie watching something else than all those stupid comedy movies I've been watching from Netflix. I just saw Veronica Mars and I went with it.

Luckily for me, there was this quick sum up in the beginning - what was the TV show about, the basics. That seems very helpful for people who haven't seen the show and for those who have maybe watched the whole series once and might have forgotten something. So thank you for that.

I'll shortly comment on the techniques: cinematography was decent, but not excellent. I like the idea of seeing text messages on the screen instead of those awkward close ups to the phones. Putting the text on the screen is easier for the viewer. You see the text, and the reaction, and it takes less time than zooming in and out. The music was alright. The original score must've been really insignificant, because I can barely remember anything from it. The chosen songs were alright.

The murder seemed interesting, but not really a movie material. In movies it's better to have more complicated murders and crimes, mostly because they require more time. Hannibal is one exception of a TV show with really weird murders that still work well for TV. Anyway, the crime in this movie felt too simple and almost normal. It felt like it could've been just an episode of the show, which is understandable. I'd guess it's hard to make a movie adaptation out of a TV show, and give it cinematic elements that are always missing from almost any show - it would feel wrong to the fans. It's easy to stuck with what you know, in this case, making things for TV. At points I was actually waiting for a commercial break.

The story and the murder got more interesting than what I expected from the start. Still, I felt like something was missing. Everything felt so simple, I almost hoped for something much darker, almost scarier. But that may not be what Veronica Mars is all about. 

In short, decent flick with interesting details. Those details however weren't enough to make this movie really stand out. It was mild and bland. I guess you need to be a fan to appreciate this movie.

☆☆☆☆☆
5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment