Saturday 9 January 2016

"Have you ever noticed, when you hear a word for the very first time in your life, you will hear that word again within twenty-four hours?"


Year: 2012
Directed by: Don Coscarelli
Writers: Don Coscarelli (screenplay) & David Wong (story)

A new drug is hitting the streets, and the rules of time or dimensions don't apply to its users any more. But some of the people are no longer human. It is up to Dave and John to save the world.


I wasn't sure what I was expecting when I started watching this. And I wasn't sure what to expect based on the name, but for some reason I am not surprised.

The beginning of John Dies At The End is excellent. It grabs the audience and they are now with the film whether they like it or not. It is capturing and effective. Amazing. It is clear from the very beginning, that this is a movie with really cool cinematography: it is detailed and the colours are excellent. It is also clear from the beginning that this movie is going to be a wild fucking trip. 

First the film seems like it's going to be a regular "ghost buster", "monster hunter" type of story. But then it wasn't, when the weird dimension changing drug soy sauce is introduced. And since they first started using the drugs - wow. The effects are weird and they go well with the story. They affect the viewer same way the film Smiley Face does - you feel like you are high too, even though you haven't taken anything. I can't imagine what it would be like to watch these films while one's high.

The humour in this film is very absurd, but the film is absolutely hilarious.

There's some feeling in this film that I find particularly weird. It kind of feels like this could be made by YouTubers. I don't know why, but this feels like a movie that could be on YouTube, made by amateurs, and I'd totally buy that. Yeah, of course this film seems totally professional, especially the effects, because they look as realistic as the ones in these films usually do. I don't get where that feeling is coming from, but it just is there.

John Dies At The End is definitely the weirdest film I've ever seen. I'm still not sure what to make of it - should I make some theories or should I take it for as it is? I have no idea.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
8 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment