Wednesday 20 January 2016

"But since you're going the other way, I'm afraid you're gonna have to start getting scared... immediately!"


Year: 2007
Directed & Written by: Quentin Tarantino

Two separate sets of women are being stalked by a stuntman, who uses his "death proof" car to kill them.


I remember my father showing me a scene from Death Proof years ago. And since the film is made to look like an old movie, I kind of assumed it was at least from the 80's. Later I saw screenshots and started realising that there's no way it's as old as I thought it was. But I love the fact that it looks like that. The slightly grainy shots, how the movie looks like the whole cinematography was half-arsed? All of those make it look like some 80's B-movie, which is definitely a good look for a film.

The characters of Death Proof are all very interesting. Firstly, the stuntman Mike. He's really terrifying and creepy, which is exactly why he is the best possible antagonist for the story. Stuntman Mike could be a real person from real life. His background is just made a lot more interesting than it would be in real life.

I love all the girls in this film. They are well-written, and there's a lot of them. Both of those are unfortunately rare in films. Tarantino also has written excellent dialogue for the female characters of the film. Tarantino's dialogue is always great and so very real, but seeing that he is capable of writing dialogue between female characters, that isn't exactly alike to men's dialogue, but which isn't the complete opposite either. Those conversations are recognisable - I think I've had several of them in one form or another.

The car chase scenes are amazing to watch, and they are very thrilling. Sometimes they just happen to be pretty hard to follow, when you're trying to figure which car was which.

Death Proof is good thriller. It has interesting plot and even more interesting cast of characters. I just don't know how often I could watch this movie.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment