Friday 15 January 2016

"Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say what one more Goddamn time!"


Year: 1994
Directed by: Quentin Tarantino
Written by: Quentin Tarantino and Roger Avary

The lives of two mob hit men, a boxer, a gangster's wife, and a pair of diner bandits intertwine in four tales of violence and redemption"
- Summary written by anonymous


My first memory of Pulp Fiction was when I was very young, probably less than 10 years old. My father had borrowed the soundtrack, and he listened to it. And I still remember listening to the beginning: Tim Roth and Amanda Plummer's dialogue, followed by Misirlou. I don't have any idea why it had such an impact on me, but I remembered that for so long. And the soundtrack of this film continues to enchant me! There are so many songs in this film that are absolute gold. I already mentioned Misirlou, but one exceptionally beautiful track is Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon by Urge Overkill. 

I saw Pulp fiction for the first time three years ago. I was sixteen then. I have no idea if I appreciated it as much as I do now. I mean around that time Tarantino was just a name - though it didn't feel like a name, more like a simple noun I associated with films. But this time I did notice there were several details I missed - or have since then forgotten. It's great how you can watch a film again and it still feels kind of new.

I love the colour palette of Pulp Fiction. Especially the colour red is very strong. And I have no complaints about the cinematography whatsoever, it really looks amazing. And the design of many locations is great. I especially love Jack Rabbit Slims, the 50's themed restaurant Mia and Vincent Vega go to. It looks absolutely ridiculous of course, very extravagant, but that's why it's so amazing. It's so detailed.

Pulp Fiction sure has it's cult classic reputation. I think almost everyone with Internet has seen screenshots or gifsets of Pulp Fiction, even if they haven't seen the film itself. That's why watching the film is weirdly surreal. You know so many scenes, but when they are put together, they are perfect, even if so many scenes are legendary even on their own: Samuel L. Jackson's monologue, The dance scene. Several pieces of dialogue. They are all amazing and so many people know them, but when you see them all in a film, it's... surreal.

The characters of Pulp Fiction never seize to amaze me. Like I said about Reservoir Dogs, the characters are closer to people than devices to carry out the story. None of them is a hero, none of them is a villain. They have virtues, they have vices. Of course they are devices for the story, that's what characters do, but even when they do their job for the plot, they still have lives outside of the story. Even if the film doesn't shove their regular life to your face, you can still feel it.

Pulp Fiction is good. It is most definitely good, it's amazing. Of course I like to think sometimes that it is completely overrated, but whenever I watch it again - or even see an out-of-context piece of the film - I remember that it is one of the best films ever made.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
10 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment