Tuesday 26 April 2016

Saw (2004)


Directed by: James Wan
Written by: Leigh Whannell & James Wan

Two men are trapped in a room and neither one of them has any idea why, until they realise they are pawns in a game controlled and led by a notorious serial killer called Jigsaw.


The idea I've had of the Saw movies has been that they are mostly senseless stodge, gore done for no other purpose but score, and especially I've been very doubtful because of the several sequels. Even gore movies should be done with some other purpose than money. I can't yet say if I'm wrong or right: I've only seen the first, and considering the director (and writers) seem to be different in the others, the first one might still be way better than the others.

But I was pleasantly surprised by the plot - no matter how weird the choice of words may seem. The plot was extremely intriguing in a way, but it could've been much simpler - and that way more effective. What if we'd lose most of the flashbacks in the film, so for the most part it would be just the two men in the room, talking to each other, until the crucial point something else is revealed? That's what I thought during the film, but now that I've seen it I can see how important the flashbacks were, but before the end they just felt unnecessary way to make the film longer. But everything did wrap up nicely. 

Still the plot is quite simple. I mean is there anything unnecessary in it? There's not too much violence, and the film is about 1,5 hours. The plot is so much closer to thriller mystery than gore horror. That's something I won't expect from the sequels, if I ever end up watching them. I think they might be overplaying the gore parts and downplaying the mysteries - but what we already found out in definitely why the mystery in the sequels would be ruined. But still, I can't say yet. This is just my speculation.

The cinematography bothered me the most. It seemed tacky and bad, and the sped up effects seemed just ridiculously stupid. Sure, the way this film was shot gave it a certain atmosphere, but it was quite annoying to look at.

Saw was a great movie, which I'd prefer to call thriller than horror. I'm still surprised how it isn't as violent as everyone always said it was. It's simple yet it surprises you. Saw is an amazing film, and I didn't think I'd like it, but here I am. 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
8 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment