Monday 11 April 2016

Hostel (2005)


Directed and written by: Eli Roth

Three backpackers in Amsterdam hear good things about a hostel in Slovakia, where beautiful women are interested in getting bed with Americans. But when they get to the hostel, they have no idea what is really waiting for them.


One of my friends talked about she'd want to watch movies by Eli Roth, but they are so full of gore she couldn't stand it. Then another friend mention she liked Hostel. I was torn between two options: I'd watch Hostel with the chance I might throw up or worse, or not watch it and feel like I missed out on something. I took the chance of throwing up, but I didn't!

First of all, it takes quite a while before all the torturing starts. And that's magnificent, because the opening credits hint of violence, so even if you'd watch this movie without knowing anything about it, you know something horrible is about to happen. But it doesn't happen right away and you just have to follow these three guys being gross and annoying, and you're just wondering when the torturing is going to start. And the longer it goes on, the more frustrating it is. You want the violence to start, so you can get it over with. The waiting is the most frustrating part about it, and Eli Roth handles that wonderfully. 

The characters of this movie are annoying. They are very gross and to be honest, during the start of the movie I was hoping they'd all die. And I didn't like them at any point of the movie. They were the typical characters in a horror movie. You want to yell at them because they don't see the imminent danger ahead of them. Still. I didn't want them to be tortured to death, so during the most suspenseful part I was on the edge of my seat, hoping they'd survive all that. 

About the suspenseful parts, wow! They were so thrilling I don't think I've ever been that thrilled while watching a horror movie. The suspense was killing me! It was so excellently written and shot, wow.

I will always praise horror movies for their dialogue. Especially in the beginning the dialogue is so ordinary, because nothing horrible is happening yet. It's real, it's the kind of dialogue you hear every day, and I love it, because while all the torture is going down, how realistic or amazing can dialogue be anyhow?

Hostel is the first movie of this type that I've seen, but I love it! Of course these kind of movies don't have much substance or themes or anything like that, but that's not what they are for!

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
9 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment