Tuesday 5 April 2016

Sushi Girl (2012)


Directed by: Kern Saxton
Written by: Destin Pfaff & Kern Saxton

Fish has spent six years in prison. Once he is released, four men he protected by his silence invite him to a congratulatory dinner - sushi served on a naked girl. But it seems that the dinner has another purpose: to find the diamonds that went missing six years ago.


I found this film in the rental store ages ago, but at that time I didn't rent it. I was kind of suspicious. But it started to haunt me, I knew I had to see it. The summary on the DVD kept saying how Sushi Girl is easy to compare to Quentin Tarantino, and since that man is the love of my life. The next time it was either all rented or I just didn't find it. Eventually I got it, and from the moment it started I knew I was going to fall in love with the film. It has everything I love to see in a film: mystery, violence, beautiful women (or a beautiful woman, or it happens to be with Sushi Girl), tension and thrill, revenge and so many other details and themes, I can't even list them all.

The beginning of this movie is beyond perfect. It's quiet, it's slow, yet it's extremely intense. It's something that makes you know you're going to watch the whole movie. 

And right from the beginning the music of this film is amazing. I want to listen to the whole soundtrack again, that's how good it was. Towards the end of this film I almost forgot about the soundtrack, because while the film gets even more intense, the music doesn't distract the viewer, it enhances the feeling of the scene. Every track goes well with the moments they were tied with. They create such a great balance it's easy to just make the soundtrack merge with the scene. They just belong together. 

Sushi Girl is also visually extremely beautiful. There were so many shots I just looked at and thought they were absolutely perfect. Either it was the colours, the simplicity, the details or whatnot, the cinematography of Sushi Girl just doesn't let you down.

The plot of this movie is an excellently planned mystery. The makers of the film have left you with enough space to try to guess the truth with the slow pace of the film. While a lot of things happen during the movie, you still have time to think about it on your own, but the film-makers still have the ability to surprise you. 

The plot isn't the only brilliant writing about this film. The characters are interesting, and there's a lot you don't know, but you can bet the writes know almost every detail of the characters. Little piece about them is dropped every now and then, but it's hard to tell if those things are true or if the characters are just mocking each other. Every character has this tension between them all the time, you just expect some of them to beat the hell out of each other any minute, while the tensions between the others is weird, and you can't quite say what it is between them. 

And the dialogue, well, the dialogue is the best kind of dialogue I want from a movie. It's clear the writers of this film have learned from the best.

Sushi Girl is everything I hoped it would be and more. The only thing I can compare it to is Reservoir Dogs, but even if Sushi Girl is clearly heavily influenced by Reservoir Dogs, it is still different and its own movie. It has excellent writing, music, cinematography, characters, everything. It's interesting, thrilling and surprising. I love every thing about this film. 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
10 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment