Friday 6 May 2016

Barely Lethal (2015)


Directed by: Kyle Newman
Written by: John D'Arco

A teenage girl has been trained to become an assassin her whole life, but she's more interested in the world of normal teenagers. After studying their world by watching high school movies she takes her opportunity and tries to live a normal life for a change - but her training never prepared her for the problems brought by a high school life.


An action comedy with mostly female cast and Sam Jackson? Sign me the hell up!

Ok, the thing about Barely Lethal is that it's extremely predictable. But for some reason it does not lose its charm because of that. I watched this movie with a friend and mostly it was fun to guess who's going to do what and who's something secretly and all that. Sure, when you're watching the movie alone, it might not be that fun, but for this time it worked. If I'd watch it a second time, maybe that quality would be annoying - or would I even care, if I've already seen the film once and I know what's going to happen?

I love the twist that there's a teenage assassin who loves high school movies. How many high school teens are there, who love all the spy / assassin stuff? A lot! This is definitely an interesting way to spin it.

The writing of this movie wasn't the best. I only had Finnish subtitles so I might've missed a few puns because the translations were different of course. But like the plot? It has its strengths and it's easy and fun to watch but I've definitely seen better and worse movies. The writing in this film is barely decent, but Barely Lethal is still fun to watch when you know the tropes to both action and high school movies - and you know the main character has great knowledge of those high school movies. 

Barely Lethal is fun and has some interesting twists, but I wouldn't call it a good film. In my book it's above average, but mostly because of the humour and mostly female cast. It's worth watching, if you're into action comedies and high school movies, because if you hate either with a burning passion, you wouldn't enjoy this movie even a minute.

☆☆☆☆☆☆
6 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment