Monday 9 May 2016

I Know Who Killed Me (2007)


Directed by: Chris Sivertson
Written by: Jeffrey Hammond

A young girl disappears, and everyone's thinking a serial killer is on the lose. But then the girl reappears, except she seems to be a completely different person.


I think this is the first time I actually paid attention to some visual detail that felt like symbolism. Usually I just ignore it, if I'm not in the mood to actually analyse the film properly. When I started watching I Know Who Killed Me, I first thought how weird the use of colour blue was sometimes. It was effective, but sometimes slightly annoying and weird. But since the colour was used so lot, alongside with the colour red, it was clear that there was some kind of meaning to that colour. Those are some strong colours, which affect the visual side of the movie a lot. They look extremely beautiful, but because of the ominousness of the film it was clear they weren't just colours this time.

When I read the quick summary on Netflix, I actually thought the roles would be reversed: that the girl who disappeared would wake up in an identical body but have a completely different life. That version would be also interesting, since this way seems typical. It makes it seems that the girl who disappeared, Aubrey, had two personalities, or she's suffering from amnesia. I don't know if the approach the film makers took was original, since they built it in the way it became predictable. 

This movie is mostly easy to follow, apart from a certain flashback. It feels like the movie just took another turn without any warning, and it doesn't even make any sense. Well, once the flashback is over it's easy to understand what had just happened. Still, it was quite a long flashback without any kind of warning - or did I just miss it? That's possible too.

While I enjoyed the visual side of this movie, and Lindsay Lohan as an actress, the story just doesn't do it for me. It has a lot to offer, but that just seems to go down the drain. It's intriguing, but something is missing. It's thrilling, but not enough. The characters are interesting only on the surface, it doesn't feel like there's a lot under their skin. This film has serious Twin Peaks (and David Lynch in general) vibes, but they don't feel as true as whatever Lynch does. 

I feel like it's good to see this film once if you're interested in it, but it definitely isn't a movie everyone should see. You can live your life happily never seeing this film. I doubt I will watch this again.

☆☆☆☆
4 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment