Wednesday 13 July 2016

Essay: Once Upon A Rainy Day

This is a rewritten version of the essay I wrote on English matriculation examination in the spring 2016. Since the essay I wrote will never be returned to me, I'm trying to remember what I wrote back then. But since the essay was about films - and because I need to write something during Camp NaNoWriMo - I thought I'd rewrite it for this blog.

Of course it's debatable if this could be considered an essay.

Note: I do not own any of the photos used in this essay.


Everyone has their own way to relax when the weather doesn't let you go outside. Some people snuggle up under a blanket with a good book. Some people drink warm tea and just listen to the rain outside their window. What do I do? I choose a good movie or one I've never seen before, and I lie on the sofa for 1,5 hours or more.

I know exactly where this habit came from. When I was little, my dad took me to the movies with him all the time. It was mostly because he wanted to see the new Disney / Pixar movie. It was easier to take his daughter with her instead of going alone. That's how everything started. It was my dad's movie collection that gave me and my little sister something to do on rainy days when we couldn't go out to play. We'd watch animated movies our dad collected.

Of course I had a lot of favourite movies as a kid, like The Lion King, Shark's Tale, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... But there's a film I consider my first favourite film. That's The Rocky Horror Picture Show, a science fiction cult classic rock musical. I was 12 years old when I first watched that movie - without my parents' permission. That's the first movie that actually made me slightly obsessed. I still know all the lyrics by heart.


When I was 16 I started this blog. In 2013 I started a challenge where I'd watch new movies and write about them and all that. It was quite surprising when a challenge turned into the whole theme of this blog. I started really getting into movies, and the routine changed. There are very few times I just watch movies. Nowadays I think about what I could write about, what I like about the film and what I dislike. Before this blog I watched a movie, I liked it or I didn't, and that was it. Now my love for films is more complicated. A movie might be bad, but I still like it, or the other way around. 

Someone once asked me if this has ruined how I view movies, considering I sometimes take notes. I don't think so. I don't force myself to write about a movie. If there's nothing to write about, I just give it a score on IMDb, and leave it at that.

But I have to be honest: there have been times when I don't have anything to watch or any motivation to watch movies. And these are easy for anyone to notice, when I'm suddenly not that active in my blogging. I can point out the worst time when I had no passion or inspiration. It was around the time we got Netflix. Of course Netflix is filled with amazing movies, but it was so much easier to watch a TV show. But it was actually a TV show that showed me the way back to my passion.


I started watching From Dusk Till Dawn, and once I was done with the show I watched the original movie from 1996. I had previously seen great movies from Robert Rodriguez, and it seemed like he was about to become my favourite director. The only problem is that I have always been a writer at heart. So what really had an impact on me when I watched From Dusk Till Dawn? The writing. 

So it's no wonder I got my motivation and inspiration back when I saw The Hateful Eight in the theatres, and then pretty much everything from the director Quentin Tarantino

The biggest reasons for how sometimes I had hard time finding interesting movies was how I had no idea what kind of movies I liked. I couldn't say who was my favourite director, and now that I have a favourite, it's so much easier to say which movies I might like, which is my type and so on. 


I'm sure that without this blog I never would've found my passion. I love films, and I want to be a filmmaker in the future, probably a screenwriter. 

And this is how my way of spending the rainy day has become my greatest passion.


No comments:

Post a Comment