Thursday 28 July 2016

Ghostbusters (2016)


Directed by: Paul Feig
Written by: Katie Dippold & Paul Feig, based on the 1984 film "Ghostbusters" by Reitman, Aykroyd & Ramis

Four women band together to stop the ghost invasion of Manhattan.


I haven't seen the original. I wasn't interested in Ghostbusters until I started hearing all the good things about this remake. Then I heard all the whining about this remake. That made me even more interested and determined to see this movie. And once I started to hear how most of the female audience loved this film, I had high expectations. Funny thing about high expectations - sometimes you're disappointed, sometimes you're not. I was definitely not disappointed - I love this movie so freaking much.

No matter what people are saying, this movie is hilarious. The only reason I didn't laugh out loud in the theatre was that, well, I'm Finnish and didn't want to bother anyone else. Dippold and Feig are extremely talented at writing comedy.

The cast is incredible. I love Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon. They are all incredibly comedians, and if you weren't convinced of their skills, this movie will convince you. My favourite thing about the leading ladies is that while they all are very beautiful women, they aren't necessarily considered attractive by the typical Hollywood heroine standards. The most attractive character might be Jillian Holtzmann, and while she's incredible cute (come one, we all have a crush on her) she's still very tomboyish. And I definitely love Chris Hemsworth as the man-bimbo eye-candy receptionist. 

'Ghostbusters' uses the themes of horror and science fiction extremely well. Of course few of the jump-scares are annoying, but since it isn't exactly a scary film, it's easy to just get over them. 

The only very slight annoyance is how the threat of the ghosts doesn't seem too serious. There's not a one second when the audience thinks that everything is going to go to hell. But hey, it's a comedy. I don't think the original movies are any different.

In short, Ghostbusters is extremely hilarious and entertaining film. I'm definitely putting it on the list of my favourites.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
10 / 10

Also yeah I notice my theme week idea didn't go as well as I planned, but I don't think anyone was REALLY PSYCHED about that so we can just forget about it, right? 

1 comment: