Thursday 1 December 2016

Trailer Thoughts: Old Stone (2016) & Nobody Walks in L.A. (2016)

I've been procrastinating on these trailers, and I have so many trailers on my subscriptions I still haven't watched, which is kind of sad. I've mostly been busy while watching random movies with friends and National Novel Writing Month. I finished my story and ended up with over 72 000 words. 

Also last night I went to see Ennio Morricone and the Czech National Symphony Orchestra live. It was astonishing. I would've done an independent post for the concert but I have no footage of the concert so I feel like just me telling it was amazing isn't worth a full post. 

But let's watch some trailers!

First one I want to talk about is Old Stone, the first full-length feature film of the director Johnny Ma. It's a psychological thriller about a taxi driver battling bureaucracy and legal manipulation in China.


The trailer is extremely dark. You can see it's going to be extremely thrilling and agonising, while also it seems artistic. It reminds me of is Oldboy by Chan-Wook Park, mostly because of the dark almost brutal shade the trailer has. 

I'm not one hundred percent sure what it's going to be about. The plot summaries online are very short, and everything else that's on the trailer is there very quickly and shortly. But still, this movie seems astonishing. It seems brutal in a psychological way and political and just everything that makes a perfect thriller.

Apparently it has come out in USA already, I just hope I'll have the chance to see it in theatres here in Finland as well, but also I think it's just going to end up on a DVD with little publicity, so I'll look forward to renting it.

The next trailer I thought seemed interesting is for Nobody Walks in L.A., which seems to have come out in April already, so I have no idea why the trailer is on my subscriptions. Like why did the channel decide to upload it now? Did it come out on DVD recently? What? Anyway it's about two friends who walk around L.A. Yes, seriously, that's the plot it seems. They talk about their lives and rediscover the city and each other. Sounds lame right?




But wait, if I'm so cynical, why would I want to talk about it? Well, it caught my eye, and if I'd only choose movies I'd be 100 % into, these would be boring. "Oh this movie seems awesome! I'd go see it!" "Oh this movie seems awesome!" over and over again. Who'd care?

To be honest the name of this movie is the reason it caught my eye. It's a bit long, sure, but it's also the kind of name which people notice better than a movie that has a one word like Stone. Seeing a movie titled Stone and Nobody Walks in L.A., which one would you be more interested? Also for some reason the name and the start of the trailer made me think of an amazing Netflix Original series called Flaked. 

Eventually the idea of two people is boring if nothing really happens, but it also seems calming. Like It feels like this is the kind of film that makes you feel good about life and it gives you new energy and positive attitude. It doesn't necessarily do all that, but the trailer is so light and fun... It's like sunshine, which is something we need in dark December (holy shit, it's December already?). The trailer makes promises and you hope the movie is able to make those promises come true. Like there will be conflict, but eventually after 93 minutes everything is okay. And I think that's exactly what I need right now, and which is why I definitely want to see this film.



Reasons I'd watch Old Stone: It is a dark, brutal psychological thriller, and that's the best kind! And if you're not afraid to watch movies in a foreign language (and obviously that note is for everyone who doesn't speak Mandarin), go see this. I have a feeling it's going to be amazing, yet it's probably not going to receive the attention it deserves, so give it attention.

Reasons I'd watch Nobody Walks In L.A.: It seems light and fun yet deep, and like the whole movie is going to bring sunshine into my life. It's exactly what I need right now, since it's always dark outside and I don't know how my life is going to turn out. It's like this movie might make everything okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment