Friday 30 December 2016

Zoolander 2 (2016)


Directed by: Ben Stiller
Written by: John Hamburg, Ben Stiller, Nick Stoller & Justin Theroux, and Drake Sather & Stiller (character Zoolander) 

Derek and Hansel are lured to Rome to start modelling again, and they find themselves as a target of a bigger conspiracy.


I saw the teaser and the trailer for this movie when they came out. I especially loved the teaser, and definitely wanted to see this movie. Still I somehow missed in the theatres, or was it even in theatres here? Anyway, I missed it, and all of a sudden it was on DVD, but still I managed to rent it only today.

Zoolander 2 captures you from the very beginning. There's a thrilling chase scene, and very dramatic line: "You can't kill us all. We'll protect the chosen one". I never expected to hear that from Justin Bieber, and I'm not just saying a character played by Justin Bieber, I mean literally... Bieber said that and was shot dramatically. If there's a weirder and hilarious way to start a movie, I'd like to know what it is. (Before you think I'm saying Oh, this is the best beginning ever, I'm just saying it's absurd and the kind of "What the fuck did just happen?" kind of beginning.)

Like the first one, Zoolander 2 is just a blast of weird absurdity that makes you laugh but also makes you wonder why the hell are you watching this. It's ridiculous, but it's the entertaining kind of ridiculous instead of frustrating.

One of the weirdest things I've read about this movie is that it's almost exactly like the first one. Yeah, obviously. Has there ever been a sequel that would be for some reason really original and not at all repetitious? Come on! Yeah, it can be annoying if the same shit is repeated over and over again, but to be honest I'm not the right person to say if the same jokes are starting to get boring, because I've seen the first movie once over a year ago. I barely remember all the jokes.

Yes, the plot of this movie is obviously similar to the first one. The structure is similar. It's just not the first Zoolander movie. The same structure is used in many other comedies, it's just different each time. There are several very predictable plot points, but hey, the movie is fun. Isn't that what's the most important thing when watching comedies?

Zoolander 2 is as good as any sequel. It's funny, it's weird and the cast is amazing. It's a bit updated but still has the same amazing faces. If you like the first one, and aren't too serious about how similar a sequel is, watch it. It might be worth it.

☆☆☆☆☆☆
6 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment