Friday 8 August 2014

"That's for if you wanna blow up moons." "No one's blowing up moons." "You just wanna suck the joy out of everything."


Yes. I had to go watch it too.

Young Peter Quill is abducted to space, and 26 afterwards he is a successful outlaw Star-Lord. ... Well at least he'd wish to be. He steals an orb he was supposed to bring to their leader, and he's planning to sell it for good money. However, evil villain Ronan sends an assassin, Gamora, adopted daughter of Thanos to get the orb. Meanwhile Rocket the Raccoon and his friend Groot decide to capture Quill, who has a price on his head. All this leads to all four of them being imprisoned. In prison they meet Drax, and they come up with a plan to escape and save the world from Ronan's plans.

To be honest, everyone was going on about how this is a perfect movie and how 100 % of critics liked it on Rotten Tomatoes and all that. And to me it seemed like just one of those really over-the-top space adventure movies. So basically I was expecting the movie to be really bad, but at the same time I expected to be really good

Well, it wasn't that over-the-top, I'll give it that. But the whole thing was kinda... fiddling, fumbling, bungling... whatever the right term is. And also there were so many different kind of species that we didn't learn anything about. So there's basically all kind of humanoid species that look different but that''s it. Also, names of the planets came and went so quickly you didn't really know anything about the place - well you knew, but you forgot. But then again, you only needed to remember about two planets. So basically they went to a lot of planets, even though they could've managed with a lot fewer. Of course the Marvel universe needs a lot of places, I don't know.

Also well, my friend and I were kinda scared that it would be too funny. Like seriously, just funny and nothing else. Well, it was really serious and dark at the beginning, but from that on it was simple comedy, with a few exceptions of several deep moments that... probably didn't make up for it. Also what annoyed me was how clearly Peter Quill was made the main character. We learnt a lot about him, but not so much of the others. We knew almost all there is to know about Quill, few things about Gamora, few things about Drax, very little about Rocket and almost nothing about Groot. Other characters should've been made at least as interesting as Quill, but of course we focus on the white half-human male. I don't know, if comics are centred on someone specific, but I have a feeling they have told a lot about all the characters. I hope that they give other characters a bit more spotlight in the upcoming movies, and that we don't just focus on "who is the mysterious father of Quill??" Because yeah, he was a funny character but I kinda wanted to know more about Rocket and Groot.

Also, Groot was an amazing character, just saying. I'm just laughing at how Vin Diesel basically had to repeat one line over and over. Well, he probably got a good money out of it, but it just seems so hilarious.

Also I was kinda annoyed with Ronan. Lee Pace is of course marvellous actor, but Marvel seems to have the tendency to take cool actors and put them in a role in only one movie, and they paint their faces and make their voice completely different. This has happened to Lee Pace and also Christopher Eccleston and Tim Roth. Also Ronan's motives seemed a bit vague and boring, like really lazily written.

On the other hand, the movie looked awesome, and the story was somehow interesting - could've been better, but there isn't a story that doesn't have its weak spots. Also the music was the best. I have Hooked On A Feeling playing in my head for a while now.

So in short, I liked the movie, but too many things kept bothering me. And I started to think about Cuba and I missed like three minutes of the movie, which I guess isn't a good sign of an action movie.

☆☆☆☆
4 / 10

1 comment:

  1. Good review. It had its flaws, but I was able to look past them and just have a total ball.

    ReplyDelete