Friday 2 May 2014

"You know, he said the purpose of fiction was to combat loneliness. -- Well, on the other hand, spending most of your time with an 1,100-page book tends to put a dent in your social life."


I watched Liberal Arts again. I bought it from London. I've seen it once before, and I loved it. I loved it so much that I guess the review was my first really long review. But now I don't think I will do that long review. I won't even start to do a plot summary, because I couldn't cover that in even ten sentences.
First of all, this is the first drama movie I started to like. So this is really close to my heart. I love this movie.

First of all, I love Radnor's writing so much. The movie is so amazingly written. Almost every line in the movie is so quotable. That's why I'm wondering... why isn't this movie more popular? People keep quoting Mean Girls and Juno, when there's a gem like Liberal Arts? It feels like Radnor has thought long and hard before writing a word. Because I don't think there's one line in the movie that isn't good, that is useless. 

But this tie I figured out something new about the movie - what it really was about. It was about living and aging, I think. Most of the time it's really about age. Jesse goes back to his alma mater, and of course that's the closest we get to travelling back in time. Zibby feels like her older self is looking at her younger, more incomplete self. In the end Jesse and Ana are talking about getting old. Jesse talks to Dean about how he shouldn't die young but die old. But what's most important is when Jesse's old professor says he still feels like a 19-year-old, and he has to remind himself that he is not. "Nobody feels like an adult", he says. 

And I love how warm relationship Liberal Arts has with books and music. Everyone describes books and stories and poems so warmly. It's nice to listen to Zibby and Jesse's letters about music, when they adore the music. It's so relatable, even though you can't put your feelings about music and books in the same words. But it's good that Radnor knows how to use words, so we can just listen (or read subtitles) and be like "Yes, yes, that's exactly how I feel about this.)

And thank god for a movie that can poke fun of liberal arts education, but still doesn't judge people when they study what they love. I hate it when art students are made fun of for following their dream and all that stuff. 

Anyway, last time I gave this eight stars. I was about to give it a full ten but then Silence Of The Lambs screwed everything up. Anyway, I'm still pretty happy about my first review of this movie, so if you want to read more than this review, which feels really short, go ahead and read that. However, I'm still not giving this movie a full ten. Maybe in few years.

☆☆☆☆☆
5 / 10

(Note: Yes, I edited the score now, in 2015 because I've realised the movie is stupid and clichéd as fuck. I need to make another review, but I couldn't stand looking at my blog and seeing 9 stars for the movie.)

Also I thought now I could let you know the ratings I gave to a bunch of movies I never did a review of. Mostly because those movies were very bad or I could not think of anything to say about them. Anyway. 

Hitchcock: (5/10)
Pretty in Pink: (2/10)
When Eight Bells Toll: (3/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment