Saturday 23 August 2014

"It's funding for the needs of the disabled. I'm disabled and I need a drink."


Rory O'Shea is disabled, and has been looking for a chance to find his own place for ages, but he's application has been denied. But with his new friend, Michael Connolly who suffers from cerebral palsy, they both get to try their wings living independently in the "real world". 

I saw some GIFs from this movie, and I wanted to watch the movie. Mostly because my first thought was "wait, this is something I haven't ever heard of". Like most movies people talk about and make GIFs are so popular that I've at least heard of them. Well, I hadn't heard of Rory O'Shea Was Here / Inside I'm Dancing. And I thought I could watch it. I was interested in it, because I hadn't really seen a film about disabled people, and I thought I should've. 

First of all, Steven Robertson was marvellous as Michael Connolly. I mean Leonardo DiCaprio is praised by his portrayal of a disabled character - if I'm remembering correctly, I might be wrong about several things but let's not go there - but I've never heard anyone say anything about Steven Robertson. I mean I had to actually check that he wasn't actually disabled. But then again there's the fact that I might not be actually that experienced with disabled people, so I don't know how true his portrayal of cerebral palsy truly was. But it seemed to be very good, extremely good. I should see him in other movies. 

But to be honest, from the GIFs I saw I thought this movie would be quite happy. And that's one reason why I was really interested in it. But well, it was more serious than I expected. I kinda would've hoped for more positive movie, but Rory O'Shea Was Here / Inside I'm Dancing was very good for what it was. I mean it had its positive moments but then again all the very serious, very sad moments. I'm pretty sure both positive and negative moments are part of everybody's lives, so that kind of portrayal is probably realistic. Though the movie was very sad, so I don't know, that might be over doing it, you know, making it sad. I have this weird comparison on my mind which might not make sense but here it goes - it's like movies about lesbians. They are always sad, someone dies etc. So it might be the same thing here. I don't know though, since I haven't seen that many movies about disabled people, so I'm only guessing. I definitely should watch more though, for whatever reasons I have.

But I do recommend the movie to anyone. I think I might see it again someday myself. Very excellent acting, very excellent story.

7/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment